Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
parthans red banana

Posted by poiuy704 8 B.C. Can (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 15:17

has anyone heard of or grown this variety, our local garden center has them on 3/$10.00 but no one there could give me any info on its growing habits, hardiness, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: parthans red banana

Never heard of it.

o

Just got 3 myself. Lady at the store said it will go about 15ft and similar to basjoo. I like the red so I dont mind how tall they go. Just going to put them in today and hope they overwinter. Im sure they will turn out just beautiful

o

Any one have a picture of one? I searched the web, and found no info on it at. What does it look like?

o

It was sold in the UK as Red Musa basjoo. It proved to just be a red stemmed banana, with no cold hardiness.

o

tropicallvr are you saying that it is a tropical variety that won't take a frost? If so I guess I'll be packing them away with the others. I'll leave one in the ground to see what happens over winter, at $3.33 each I don't mind experimenting.
Glenik are you in the Chilliwack area? I'd be interested to know if yours make it through the upcoming winter and what you do for winter protection.
Jim

o

Yeah, they seem to be a tropical type from what others have found out by testing it, but like you said at that price it's a great deal for any banana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here