Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
musa sikkimensis in planter box

Posted by calvert 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 4, 10 at 15:20

I'm in Portland, OR and would like to plant a sikkimensis in a planter box 2' wide x6' long. I'm trying to determine if I should line the planter with rigid insulation to keep the roots warmer in winter (in addition to wrapping, etc.) - any thoughts? The box is 30" high and open on the bottom to native soil. Does anyone know how far down the roots typically go?

This is my first shot at having a musa so all suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: musa sikkimensis in planter box

Roots will only grow in soil that contains oxygen. For this reason the majority of roots are in the first 12-18". Many many of them are right under the ground surface.

o

That's a good idea rigid isulation. The roots go a couple feet down in loose soil, not to mention the corms which can get big on sikkimensis, probably 12" below soil. It's gonna be pressed for space, but you could divide it when it gets cramped.

o

Thanks for all of the advice, much appreciated.

A quick follow-up question - I've got the planter all done and the musa installed. I'd like to mulch with crushed filbert shells (abundant around here and attractive) - any thoughts as to whether or not they will hold too much water come winter? It's not super cold here but certainly wet so rot will be my biggest challenge, I susupect.

Thanks -

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here