Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about growing banana trees from seeds?

Posted by monashguy (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 15:40

I am not sure where banana seeds comes from, I live in a tropical country Malaysia and banana trees is everywhere, but I do not know where to find banana farms to find a cutting to grow since I live in the city, I live in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. Anyway, I saw some banana breeds that is sold on ebay and you can plant it with seed, but the same breed sold on supermarket is seedless or to be more exact very tiny seeds. So if I buy the seeds on ebay and grow it, will the banana have seeds inside them as in big seeds, bigger than the ones in supermarket. Much bigger infact. Secondly, since the supermarket ones, the seeds are so small that you can nearly call it seedless, where do the seeds of the banana that you can buy on ebay comes from? The banana fruit itself? I am very confused on this and need some people with some experience on banana plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about growing banana trees from seeds?

Surprised no one has responded to your question, but I guess it's nearly August and many people are on vacation. Anyway, yes, the banana seeds you will get will receiving will be much bigger than the seedless/sterile ones you get in the fruit market. In the wild, bananas are still seeded, but the ones people eat have been cultivated from seedless clones. Every once in while a problem arises from this reliance on identical clones (disease, etc., so the industry has to change the cultivar used in the marketplace). I have only grown Ensete (Abyssinian) bananas from seed, and they were real EASY even outside the tropics!

o
RE: Question about growing banana trees from seeds?

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 7:16

Many ornamental Bananas are grown from seeds. Their fruit will have seeds and may or may not be edible. If you want edible get a pup of a variety you like .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here