Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leafless plant with fruit

Posted by dghays Z9B FL Brevard (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 16:27

I have a plant with a bunch of fruit, and it had lost all its leaves in late winter. I assume it does no harm and probably will continue to nourish the fruit as the stem holding the fruit is still green, even though it has fallen down somewhat and is hanging low. Any experience with this situation? The fruit are rounded out enough to pick, but I'd like them to tree ripen mostly.

Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leafless plant with fruit

What you can do is to trim off any brown sheaths, cut those out and remove, exposing only the green live sheaths. You need evey square inch of photosynthesizing plant tissue. You can also cut off half of the number of banana fruits and throw away if you want bigger sizes that will ripen on your plant.

Most resource are stored in the corm and the trunk, so it is really not a surprise that for us banana growers in the colder areas can have just fruits without any leaves after the winter season.

Also explains why we would never achieve yield higher than those in the tropics or warmer areas.

o
RE: Leafless plant with fruit

• Posted by dghays Z9B FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 12:29

Thanks for the good ideas. Its probably within a week or so of harvest now. Most winters any more are mild enough to not set back my trees much, but we had a big frost in late Feb. This bunch of fruit has been on since early last fall, quite a long time!

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here