Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobcat_gw

bunched up basjoo?

bobcat
16 years ago

Hello, Im real stumped! I've got a second year basjoo, around 4/5 feet tall. It was overwintered indoors under a MH lamp we borrowed off a friend. The growth was super slow during winter not because of light, but because of temperature. We had hoped the lamp would boost the temp in the small shop room it was in. This was not the case and it went semi-dormant. I say semi because it would always seem to be pushing out a leaf- just real slow.

Anyway, now the growth of this particular plant is kind of stop and go. Also, the leaves are all bunched up! Newer sets are barely taller than older sets. Its kind of like an umbrella....

Should I have wacked off a portion of stem prior to waking it off?

A small piece of root was left over in the ground from this plant last year. It actually survived without any attention. Didn't even know it was there. But a pup grew from it. And if mama doesn't shape up, that pup will soon be taller than her!

Comments (3)

• bobcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Somebody? Anybody?

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

I had one basjoo in the greenhouse potted that bunched up like that. We had low moisture levels in there at the time. But now that we've increased moisture in there, it has come out of it and seems to be growing normally. So you might want to try spraying it with the hose a little bit now and then. If you're like us in Muncie, IN, we've had an awful hot and dry summer.
    Another option, every once in a while I get a plant that just doesn't seem to want to grow. I usually knock all the soil off the roots, spray them with fungicide just in case and then repot them in fresh soil. A lot of the time that works wonders and I'm not even sure why!

• bobcat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THanks! Actually I've increased watering and it seems to be doing better- but it's too early to tell yet. But your post supports what little I have noticed. I hope your right!

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor