Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (14)

• lac1361
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your ice cream bloom looks just fine. Hopefully, the fruit will ripen before your first frost.

Steve

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Steve. I think I was wrong about having an Ice Cream banana. I was looking at the blog called (Another yard in Ft Pierce) and the guy has what is called Misi Luki. He also has Ice Cream. They look very similar except the Misi Luki has a redish/pinkish midrib like mine. I also read on another site that the Misi Luki blooms in a wide range of climates. Its hardy to zone 7! If this is what I have then its worth trying just one in the ground this winter. Look up (Misi Luki) and tell me what you think. The link to the pictures of misi luki is below.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Another yard in Ft Pierce (Bananas)

• ohgirl
    15 years ago

Beautiful plants Josh!! What are the plants in pics 14 & 15?
    Also what is that tree in the last 2 pics?
    I noticed your ginger plant! I have one like that too.
    But it can't compete with yours. I had alot of die back. Have any pointers for ginger? Thanks for your help.
    Congratulations on your BLOOM!! Gives me hope!
    Ohgirl

• lac1361
    15 years ago

Reddish, pinkish midrib indicates it's not Ice Cream. However, Misi Luki is not easy to find; Ice Cream is much more common but neither are rated hardy to your zone. Once the fruit appears, it should be easier to identify.

Steve

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Steve. I guess it all depends on where you look. Check out the link below. BTW the redish midrib is only on the pups and then it goes away when larger leaves start to appear.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Misi Luki (Central Florida Farms)

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ohgirl! Number 14 is canna intrigue and 15 is another kind of canna lily. Sorry I don't know the exact name of it. The last 3 pics are of a Mimosa tree (Albizia julibrissin) in a neighbor's yard. Its nice to look at but I'm glad its in my neighbor's yard because it's seed pods blow everywhere in the fall and come up like weeds in the spring.

About the ginger. Believe it or not I planted it in the ground on April 18th. I have done nothing to it except give it plenty of water. Its been pushing out all kinds of growth. The leaves that were on it when I bought it this winter curl up in the sun and then go back to normal when the extreme sun dies down. The leaves that have grown since I bought it take the full sun with no curling at all. So to answer your question, I have no pointers other than the fact that I fertilize heavily with Milorganite and Miracle Gro. Also, mine is in the ground. Is your's in a pot?

Jay

• topher2006
    15 years ago

Josh how big is this banana ? I think mine will bloom soon also.

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Topher. What's up! Last year this banana was 13 - 14ft. Right now its about 7ft. I overwintered some of the main stem and it regrew right out of the center. I've heard if you keep the main stem from last year then last years growth counts towards total growth before bloom. I guess this is what happened. Or the banana gods just like me. LOL!

Jay

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Steve. I think the link that I sent you to has a typo. Its the only site that says zone 7. Everyone else says zone 9 for Misi luki. I thought zone 7 seemed wrong. You were right.

Jay

• topher2006
    15 years ago

I screwed up last year and let all mine rot i thought they would go dormant but they didn't they actually rotted.
    I am growing the pups i got off them this year. My biggest one is about 7 ft tall that's why i asked. Congrats on
    your bloom be sure to keep us updated !

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some pics I took of the bloom today. Still not opened but getting very close.

{{gwi:414302}}

{{gwi:414305}}

View from my livingroom.
    {{gwi:414309}}

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

That is very cool. Keep us updated. Hopefully someone will finally be able to ID your banana.

• tey157
    15 years ago

Nice!

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Starting to really come along.

{{gwi:414312}}

{{gwi:414314}}

{{gwi:414316}}