Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown variety to identify.

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 18:22

I purchased this banana in a 50% off sale. It was growing among aquatic plants--the vender at first thought it was a Canna but soon realized his error.
The others were labeled as Siam Ruby. Can this be true at this color?--They were growing outside so light should have been quite decent. The leaves are yellowish green but healthy. They are more narrow than broad, it also suckers readily. Are some banana varieties more 'aquatic' than others? Not the first time I have seen some bananas being grown standing in water among aquatics btw. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown banana variety

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown variety to identify.

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 16:05

Impossible to identy at that height but they don't look like edible bananas, probably some ornamental variety; although I don't know of any bananas that can be grown in an aquatic environment. Near a pond or stream with occasional high water covering the roots, yes; submerged 100% of the time, no.

Steve

o

I checked out the Nursery on line. Seems they deal mostly with aquatics and their catalogue lists two Musa varieties (Ruby Red Siam and Basjoo). If I knew it was a Basjoo would not have gotten it because I have a clump of them already. Still wondering about the aquatic deal--I notice Canna too are sometimes grown in water. Thanks for your input.

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 9:00

Well the banana in the picture is definitely not Siam Ruby.

Steve

o

It could be one kind of ornamental banana, or it could be Banana Rose which is small in size and has narrower leaves. I do have some Banana Rose growing. I'll attach a pic. when I get a chance to take one.

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 7:31

You certainly can grow bananas in water see the link below. I have Manzanos that regularly are submerged in my canal for 3 or 4 months at a time the only problem is they tend to topple over. They do not migrate into the water full time so it is not an Ideal environment. Siam Ruby produce light green leaves but they turn red even in shade. That is not a SR . You might get a better answer over at bananas.org.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Bananas in water

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here