Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these 'Ice Cream' ? (Silvery/whiteish powder)

Posted by josh_palm_crazy Jay 6b/7 PA (tommybahama1979@gmail.com) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 18:27

I've posted about the possible identity of my bananas before with some unsure responses. I came to the conclusion that I have 'Ice Cream' Blue Java bananas because of the same overall look and shape of the banana tree itself compared to other pictures and most of all the uncanny silver/whiteish powder on the pseudostems of Ice Cream bananas. Here's pics of mine compared to another "for sure" Ice Cream. What do you think. Anyone else see the similarities?

These are mine
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These are "for sure" Ice Cream bananas owned by sandy0225. A member of webshots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these 'Ice Cream' ? (Silvery/whiteish powder)

Nearly all bananas have a wax coating (the "powder" you note) along their pseudostems, and there's nothing uncanny or unusual about it. Some varieties have slightly more than others, but is an unreliable method for identification. Nor can you ID from the "look and shape" of the plant. Unfortunately, the only way to be sure is to see the fruit, which will have the characteristic deep blue/green color as it is ripening, in addition to being relatively small in size. This is possible in your zone if you dig the trunks up and store over the winter, then fertilize heavily during your growing season.

Another "clue" (but certainly not reliable for ID) is the much larger size ice cream can attain. Many dessert-types mature around 8-12 feet, but ice cream reaches 12-15 feet with leaves extending much higher. Since you have fewer light-hours in your zone, your plants may not grow quite this large.

-Bruce C.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here