Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some help for a banana newbie, please

Posted by roxannemoskal Z6 PA (roxxanne@comcast.net) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 19:40

Can someone please positivly ID my plant? It was marked as a Cavendish, but I cannot find a picture that looks like mine. Also, I have read here that bananas are heavy feeders, how much and what kind of fertilizer should I use? I lost my first Basjoo over winter, I mulched it and we had a very mild winter, I don't know what happened so I will be bringing in both of my plants, what do I need to do when I bring them in????? Thanks for any info. The pictures are at
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=552330245&ran=28762
Roxanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some help for a banana newbie, please

Looks more like a Rojo or maybe a High color mini - too much color for a Dwarf Cav.

o

are the back sides of the leaf red or green? it could be a sumatrana X gran nain cross, a zebrina if it has red leaf backs.

o

This is most likely a cavendish type banana, the most common banana-plant in the trade. I have recently heard there is a dwarf cavendish-type, that has been selected for the indoor housplant market, tolerating lower light levels. If you bought it at home depot or similar large chain, chances are this could be it.

I have seen this striking black colour on many young dwarf cavendish specimens. The plant tends to go all green as it gets older/bigger. In fact, many banana-plant cultivars do the same thing, such as musa sikkimensis. When sikkimensis leaves exceed 6 feet long, they tend to be all green.

The link is from "The Musacea", and shows a nursery growing ornamental Dwarf Cavendish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercial production of Dwarf Cavendish as Houseplants

o

I think pitangadiego and mrbungalow have it right, looks like a hi color cavendish but could be just a young one that will grow out of it's color. Check out this pic www.agristarts.com/mu_hicolor.jpg
The underneath is green not red. I got it at a regular greenhouse, but it was promoted as an ornamental. I love it no matter what. I hope that it bears fruit someday, since my Basjoo won't.
Thanks everyone!!!

o

That's good news for you if your banana leaves are green on the backside, and you're wanting fruit.
Most of the zebrinas and their cousins that produce non-edible bananas have red backs. So you have something most likely edible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here