Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red abyssinian banana in container question

Posted by nika107 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 20:10

I recently moved into a house and along with it inherited many container plants, and I'm still trying to figure out how to best care for them. One of the plants we have is a red abyssinian banana (at least, I'm 95% sure it's a red abyssinian based on photos). The tree is currently planted in a half whiskey barrel on our front patio, but it's kind of in a bad spot because the fronds are now blocking our walkway, and as a result it keeps getting damaged.

I was thinking about either repotting it into another container (the whiskey barrel is kind of rotting away), or planting it into the ground, but either way, moving it to a different location.

Will I kill it if I do that? It's probably 7-8 feet tall, and has about 8 leaves right now. Also, will it ever fruit? Is there any way to guess when it will do so if I don't know the age of the plant? And would it be better to put it into another container, or right into the ground? Oh, and I'm in Southern California, btw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red abyssinian banana in container question

I dont have all the answers but I do know it will do much better in the ground and it will then grow like crazy.
Christine

o
RE: Red abyssinian banana in container question

I agree, it will grow MUCH better in the ground. I have one here in WI, I have to bring it in for winter, but it's planted in the ground during the growing season. I LOVE it! We don't have a long enough growing season for it to flower/fruit, but from what I have read, they die after they do so....so not sure you want it to!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here