Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefalco_gw

Anyone in SC growing SABA

joefalco
16 years ago

I ordered a SABA from A&B tropicals off of ebay, I was wondering if anyone in South Carolina is growing this and what there results have been. Will it overwinter OK? Any tips on growing this plant?

I also ordered a Borneo Giant and I have the same questions concering it.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

When SC = Southern California, yes. They are quite tall, about 15' at the top of the trunk. I only dip to 38 deg, but they seem unfazed at that temp. They are very stout, pretty wind tolerant (haven't had one folded or blown over, yet). Fruit is very similar to Praying Hands, and quite good.

Pix at http://webebananas.com/bvar-R-S.html

• joefalco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should have specified South Carolina not CA...

Anyone in my area Little River SC to be exact..

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

You were clear, bnt also nt getting any help. ;-)

• porkpi
    16 years ago

I grow them in Charleston and have sold about 100 of them here.

• joefalco
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mine is looking kind of yellow and droopy right now...

Any suggestions. The Ice Cream I planted at the same time looks great though and the borneo giant looks healthy but no bigger.

• nothrdayinparadise
    16 years ago

We grow them here in Tampa, however anytime it gets below 35F they start to wilt, but even if the weather gets to 32F which is rare, they leaves die but it always comes back. In your zone they will grow and come back but never have enough change to fruit since it takes 18 months before it will fruit. There are ways to protect them during a cold spell but it takes work. We have tropical plants that do not grow well under 40F so I have ways to protect them under that temp that allow me to grow them. I have over 10,000 plants from around the world that are tropical or sub-tropical in nature. We have 4 different types of bananas, but my favorite plant is the Philippine Jade Vine

Here is a link that might be useful: Nipa Hut Gardens and Gifts

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

I grew them in Orlando, Hollywood, Miami and now Ft Lauderdale. The are among my favorite to grow. the other being Orinoco and Ice Cream.

Tropcialfreak

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

I'm trying one in Muncie, INdiana, of course, in the greenhouse for winter. I'll let you know how it goes, because I overwinter at around 50 degrees in there because that's all I can afford!

• pitangadiego
    16 years ago

Sandy,

50 degress should be no problem.

• porkpi
    16 years ago

"In your zone they will grow and come back but never have enough chance to fruit since it takes 18 months before it will fruit. "

I beg to differ,Nothrdayinparadise. My ice cream fruited after just 16 months(planted in May, bloomed in October the following year). My other one bloomed in March--after two winters of leaf killing frost.

Where I live in SC, leaf damage is superficial. We have to have temps cold enough to damage whats inside of the p-stem. I have been growing orinocos longer than anything else and here is last years pics of 3 of the 7 bunches that I had. {{gwi:414780}}

Perhaps I have been lucky with the weather.