Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Main banana tree not growing

Posted by jlittle (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 20:48

A bought a hardy banana tree and it was growing great. It stop growing and several sucker banana trees started growing off of it. They look healthy and a growing fast. My original tree has a leave that has not unrolled and is turning burn. Is this normal? Can I do something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Main banana tree not growing

What are your temps like? The pups should not affect the mother plant. My banana pups don't, neither do any of the ones I see around me. The pups should actually have roots, and not take things from the mother plant. The new leaf not unfolding, and turning brown means something wrong. Do you have some pics?

o

No. I went ahead and cut off the mother plant because it looked bad. The sucker plants look great. Here is a pic of them.
My Banana Tree

o

Actually the suckers do not start with roots and absolutely do take energy from the mother up to a certain point. Most of the time pups aren't produced unless the plant is healthy enough to support them and should not be a problem. However sometimes I think pups are produced when the mother is stressed and is securing it's replacement. Whichever the cause is I have seen plants pup heavily and then go on to remain productive but I have also seen plants pup heavily and then decline. They usually recover eventually but it's a matter of how long you want to tolerate the bad looking plant.

o

US Marine,
Good to see another ole Marine playing around in a garden!
USMC 1975-1978 Camp Geiger 2531

sfhellwig,
Thanks for info. I cut off one of the smaller suckers and am trying to see if I can grow it in a container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here