Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

What attacks mature Banana plants?

gcmastiffs
14 years ago

I'm losing my big Banana trees, recently, to something that takes huge hunks out of the lower trunks.

{{gwi:414869}}

My property is fully fenced, with cattle panels, privacy wooden panels and livestock fencing.

The trees are eaten out, shredded upwards, and in some cases the trunk is missing, with just a few upper leaves and a hole in the ground left..

{{gwi:414870}}

The fruit is not touched.

{{gwi:414871}}

My husband thinks it is a creature seeking water. But, we have had heavy rains recently, and the destruction has continued.

Has anyone seen damage like this? We are in Florida, zone 10. We have large dogs and a Jack Russell Terrier that does not tolerate vermin.

I'd suspect one of my puppies, but they are supervised (when I'm home) and indoors in A/C nearly all the time. The heat here is unbearable, and I can't imagine one of these rather lazy dogs making the effort involved in gnawing down a mature Banana tree. They have pools and plenty of fresh water available at all times. The pups collect playthings (palm fronds, shoes, pots, squirrels) and place them in piles on the lawn. No Banana bits have been found with their treasures.

{{gwi:414872}}

If I didn't have a secure fence I'd suspect a hog. No tracks can be found due to the pine bark chips and grass.

Ideas?

Lisa

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County