Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchiddude

Dwarf Cavendish Musa Acuminate

orchiddude
16 years ago

I just picked up one of these and wondered if anyone can tell me how well the fruit develops? I read it grows on the small size so I am hoping I can use large containers and fruit it out.

Thanks

Rob

Comments (16)

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

Hey Rob,
    These are in the ground,about 10ft now,dwarf Cavendish,but you grow them in a pot might keep them around 6 to 8ft.
    Don

{{gwi:414900}}

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THose look good. I guess dwarf means big...lol

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

The leaves do hold up nicely in the wind!!!
    Don

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do they fruit at about 10 feet?

• topher2006
    16 years ago

I was told rule of thumb is bananas fruit
    when they acquire 40 leaves.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

orchiddude, they also look wonderful with needles, trachys and sabals LOL

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

Mine definitely have over 40 leaves,no fruit yet,and the pups are as big as the mother,and the pups are having pups and no fruit yet,top of the leaves over 12 ft now!!!

• topher2006
    16 years ago

hmm..... dbryal that you know is according to climate, soil and growth rate . actually i think it is between 30-40 leaves.

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Look folks, I try to get away from you in the palm forum and now you follow me to the banana forum....lol just joking guys

I heard it was 21 leaves, who cares about the leaves. I grow bananas for the looks. When they fruit its just a bonus.
    I bought this banana here for the size. The ticket said 3 feet tall and so I figured it would be a small plant that would fruit, which would be cool.

OMG nucci60, you know I hate those things and you keep torturing me with them :-)

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

Wife just said,they'll fruit when they get darn ready to,and
    not before!!!
    I've just never had pups as big as the mother,and now the pups are having pups,and still no fruit.
    Has anyone ever seen the pup fruit and not the mother????

Don

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don...each one will fruit when it gets all the leaves out, the fruit is the last thing in the pocket. I guess the pockets are still full. Just wait, it might be next year but it will fruit and then the babies will fruit and the babies, babies will fruit, and then by then you will have another momma and it will start fruiting and well....you know....LOL

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

I believe Stressbaby on the Tropicals forum just had his DC start fruiting. His is in a greenhouse. The main plant, not the leaves, was around 6 ft when it started to flower. You could contact him for more info. I have a pup of his and it is getting up there too. Beautiful plants and huge leaves. It's starting to block my sliding door leading into the house! Unfortunately, spider mites love the banana plants as much as I do. I had to sacrifice some leaves from the DC and my Namwah. Persistent little bas$%#@s.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

orchiddude, I "do" bananas too. juat basjoo,sikkimensis,and a couple of potted ones.I saw your post and couldn't resist.If you just grow for leaves, ensete maurelii is great!

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nucci60, I grow for the look and the fruit but I was hoping to get something that was smaller than my 12 plants that would fruit and be manageable under 9 feet. My 12 foot plants will fruit every other year. I have a Raja that I got last year. Its pretty, not sure what it does or how big it gets. I love bananas. I think I am going bananas.

• topher2006
    16 years ago

Orchiddude
    I thought you was following me lol..
    If you want a fast growing banana with big leaves
    I suggest red/green dwarf or orrinocco both have big leaves
    Here's my dwarf
    It has put on 4 big leaves since this picture was taken
    only a month.
    {{gwi:414546}}

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks topher, I have a ton of orrinocco, One of mine should fruit this year.