Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmj_gw

Dwarf Cavendish -- pup separation

emmj
15 years ago

I attempted to post this the other day but I don't think it went through -- apologies if this is a repost.

We have a Dwarf Cavendish that seems to be in reasonably good health; it's not very tall but consistently has 5-6 healthy looking leaves. It has recently sprouted a pup that is about 1.5 inches tall at the tallest leaf, and has about 4 tiny leaves. At what point should we think about separating it and repotting it? From the little reading I've done it sounds like now is probably too early and it would die -- is that right? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (19)

• cedardave
    15 years ago

I like to wait until the pup is close to 24 inches tall. Its a safe bet it has started to send out some roots of its own.

• cponak
    15 years ago

I just separated my pup from the mother dwarf cavendish. Only thing was it did not come out with the roots. I had to separate them as the pup was over 2 feet high. The mother is in a 20 inch container and the pup is in a 16 inch container. Now I don't know how the pup is going to do without roots. I stuck it in the soil upright and we'll see what happens.

• cponak
    15 years ago

Well that makes me feel better! i do have it in the house right now under a grow light, not intense. But it looks horrible. Do you think I should put it back outside even if the weather is in the 90's? Do you think it will do better out there maybe in more shade than sun at this point?

• cponak
    15 years ago

I did decide to put the pup outside but under my dogwood tree where there is filtered shade, hardly any sun for now. We'll watch it closely. Meanwhile, Mom is producing another pup. I could see it's head poking out this morning. Good news there. Let's hope pup #1 gets better.

• slfairless
    15 years ago

Yes, keep it outside for sure. It needs sun, heat, and water in order to establish itself.

• nucci60
    15 years ago

I have tried several times to plant pups that severed without roots and never had one survive. Good luck to those that can make this happen.

• ericjwi
    15 years ago

I'm almost inclined to wait for the bananas to finish and the main plant dies off. Then just remove from the dirt where I can see what I'm cutting and replant with fresh soil.

• cponak
    15 years ago

Well, the original pup died today, it was mushy and I decided to let it go. Mom now has 3 pups and I think little pup #2 is going to be the " alpha". It's growing faster than pup #1 from the other day. Mom is happy and unfurling leaves. Hopefully, maybe, it will fruit before October where the nights can get into the 40's.

• hlily
    15 years ago

I have removed several pups from my dwarf cavendish. I make sure I get some of the corm underneath. I use a long knife (serrated) and I cut between the mother and the pup first. Then I dig around with a small spade or use my fingers and separate the two. As long as the pup has some of the corm it will live. If you have just the pseudostem it will not root.
    HTH
    Hlily

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    15 years ago

I just seperated one of the 5 pups from my Grand Nain (tall cavendish?) yesterday. I made a clean cut with a sharp knife, right at the corm. I did not take any of the mother corm at all, but did sever a fair amount of her roots, but she has TONS of roots so I don't think that will bother her. The pup has quite a few roots of its own. I potted him up in a small pot and he gets some direct sun, but more filtered / dappled sun than anything.

Ill try and get a photo of both of em up here soon. Now its just a waiting game to see how they both do. I think they should be fine.

• cponak
    15 years ago

I have a question. My dwarf cavendish is almost as tall as me and is putting out about two leaves a week. She now has 5 pups. Come fall, she may not flower as she is on her 14th leaf. In that case, I do want to save one of the pups, don't have room in the house for all five. Do I need to separate the pup now? I heard you cut down to the corm and cover with red mulch. Should I just remove the other pups before putting mom in a cool and dry place?

• anthony340
    15 years ago

I have been growing a Dwarf Cavendish for 3 months. Its very healthy. But you talk about pups. What are they and will my plants produce them anytime soon?

• buzzwinder
    15 years ago

Pups are sprouts ( baby nanners ) That grow off the corm of the mother plant, They pop out arond the ground or in the pot whatever the case may be, generally when a pup reaches about 18 inches or more in hieght you can seperate itfrom the parent plant using a sharp implement such as a knife or spade cutting at about 30 degrees to the parent to get a small piece of corm and some roots, them replant in its own container or spot in the yard and it will establish a new mat of banananas, Dwarf Cavs are very prolific at pupping. Hope this was of some help!!! Bill

• hottina44
    8 years ago
    What can I give or do to make my super dwarft banana plant to grow some, even one Pup? Any help or ideas I'd love some help. There must be some science to this madness ? Appreciate it whole heartedly ❤️
  • hottina44
    8 years ago
    Is there a way to get a super dwarft banana to make pups? I'm dying to get a pup can they pup? I had one come with a pup but it died before I even tried to separate it? Help?
  • snowbanana
    8 years ago

"Is there a way to get a super dwarft banana to make pups? "

Just be patient, SDCs always make pups like crazy once they are vigorously growing. In order to do so they need full sun and a lot of heat.

• hottina44
    7 years ago

How tall or leaves must Dwarft Cavendish banana must have b4 it will grow pups?my Dwarft cavendish is only 3 inches , so I guess I have all summer to wait? It's June in 7 a & it gets cold in Oct. end of? Any reply? Stem is the thickest I've ever grown out of 3 different type of bananas?

• Robert Hall
    5 years ago

Firstly if you are keeping a dwarf cavandish in a pot you need good we'll drained soil, minimum 17gal pot with drain holes on the bottom and the sides. Growing it needs firtlizer in 1/2 what the package recommends monthly (approximately 1/2 cup) around the edge of the pot. Secondly place in full sun. Water daily during hot days during growing season.

I picked up a new dwarf cavandish from Lowe's march 5th, for planting in a pot. By June 1st I have 3 good sized pups for transplant in there own pots.

The dwarf cavandish is an easy plant to take care of and pup in a few months, just by regular care. BTW coffee grounds around the base every 2 weeks helps keep the soil at the right acid level, for ppl who don't drink coffee, a can of flat coke also works.