Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

Protecting Basjoo and Orinoco

jardinerowa
17 years ago

Hey all,

I planted four bananas last week (I know it's so late). Two are in containers and two are in the ground. I'm doing an experiment to see which ones survive, grow the best etc... My question is for the ones in the ground. They're pretty small but we have at least a month of good weather left here so we'll see what happens.

I got some woodchips for mulching later but I'm wondering if woodchips are a good idea. It rains a lot in the PNW in the winter and I'm worried woodchips will just keep all that moisture close to the base of the plant. Should I use straw?? And if so, where do I get some? I'm not exactly in farmland here.

Thanks.

J

Comments (8)

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

The best way of protecting small bananas in the wintertime is to bring them inside. It's really too late to get something started like that now, if it's just a small plant. Bring them in when it gets cold and grow them a little bigger and put them out in the spring. So I'd go ahead and repot those ones you planted when they say it's going to frost.But it's your money.....
    Sorry!
    Sandy @ Northern Tropics

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

I agree with Sandy. They need to establish a good root system before going into winter.

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok guys,

I guess I'll leave those two in the ground for another month of good weather and then dig them up. They are small but how big of a root ball do I need?

J

• billnjenn
    17 years ago

I also did the same thing as the OP. When I dig up the little basjoo, and plant it into a pot--I would like to put into my cooler dark basement for the winter. How should I treat the banana? Should I cut off all of the leaves, or leave it as is.

Billy

• jewelbaby1224
    17 years ago

I just bought 2 Dwarf Orinocos. 7' tall in 5 gal pots. Now I'm wondering if I should plant them or over winter them on the pots????

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you're able to put them in pots and move them around, I would do that. After all danger of frost has past next year, then bring them outside, plant them and watch them take off!

J

• kerrican2001
    17 years ago

Generally, I agree about waiting til spring because of frost, although we took the gamble with two small basjoos from Smith and Hawken 2 years ago when they were on clearance in October, and we planted them in the ground. We live in inland Northern California and expect some light frosts on occasion. However, the plant was so tough it had not a scratch on it. It did take a while to really get growing though, even when it warmed up in spring. But now it's taken off like gangbusters and made it through a second winter with not a scratch. PNW is probably frostier though.

You might want to wrap the trunk in burlap in the winter (they do this in the UK).

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

When you dig up your little bananas and repot them, they probably won't have made much root growth yet, so they won't need too much dug up around them. Whatever size pot they were in when you planted them, dig just a few inches outside that area. You'll end up with a good rootball that you can repot. Put it in a good well draining potting soil like Promix. Water them in well, then let them dry out before you water them again. Keep them on the dry side all winter, then put them out in the spring.
    I have a little guide on e-bay called "how to grow bananas in cold areas successfully" if you want to look it up, here's a link.
    By the way, I'm not advertising, this is for information only!

Here is a link that might be useful: how to grow bananas in cold areas successfully