Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between Musa cheesmani and M. nagensium

Posted by griphuz z8b NL (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 8:56

Hi everyone,
I've got a young plant of Musa cheesmani and an aproximately same size M. nagensium here, and they look quite the same! Can anyone tell (or show) me any difference between the two species or show me how to differenciate them?

I've done some searching on this forum and on the german bananaforum but there seems to be an awful lot of confusion about the two species.
Thanks in advance!
Remko.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between Musa cheesmani and M. nagensium

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~drc/mnagensiumimages.htm
Here's a link to some pics of M.nagesium in kerala India. For some reason the pics aren't coming up in the middle of the screen, but there are also the same pics on the sunshine seeds website(German web site).
Those plants are really dark, and the leaves look less lance shaped than the ones I have.
After a year and a half mine look exactly the same, as were the seeds, and the thing is they look so distinct compared to other bananas. There might have been a mix up with the seeds/plant ID in India.
Someone else chimed in that there's reminded them of Musa initerans, so maybe there is one that is different than musa cheesmanii, but my M.nagesium 'Florie noir' looks the same(Bought from Ortanque seeds..if I remember correctly)

Here is a link that might be useful: M.nagesium

o
OH yeah

Where did you get your Musa nagensium?

o

I have both kinds of bananas. You place them side by side and you can't tell them apart. Some have the red midrib and some don't of both kinds. My largest cheesmani has the red midrib. It has around 4ft of psuedostem. Both of the psuedostems are blue purple. I have musa yunnanasis also and the psuedostems are darker and more purple on the cheesmani and nagensium.

o

Here's the info on Musa Cheesmani. It says the seeds are slightly flat and rough and warty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Musa cheesmani

o
another

Here's nagesuium.
That doesn't exactly clear things up, but it doesn't mention nagesium seed being warty.

Here is a link that might be useful: naga

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here