Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is doing these holes to my banana plant?

Posted by ladybug820 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 9:10

Can anyone tell me what is causing these perfect round holes evenly spaced on my banana plant? Also how to stop it from happening?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is doing these holes to my banana plant?

Hi,I usually hang out in the brugmansia forum,but lurk here occasionally. I believe that what happened to your plant is that while it was still tightly rolled up in the p-stem,or just as it emerged,before it un-furelled,an insect,probably a beetle or a grasshopper among others,bit one hole in the leaf that went through a few layers of rolled up leaf.As the leaf unrolled the hole spread out,and it looks like a bunch of different bites,but it is all from the same bite. Sort of as if you rolled a piece of paper tightly,then took something and cut a small hole in it,then unrolled it,you would see a bunch of holes,all in a row,that looked like something ate it,but it was just 1 hole at first.Hope that makes some sort of sense to you,I know it sounds odd,but,I'll bet that's what happened.
Dan

o

ladybug, you don't say where you live in your GW Zone, but if you're in California, most likely this is snail damage. Very common here.

Patty S.

o

My zone is 9 Daytona Beach Florida

o

Space Aliens. Gotta be Space Aliens.

o

when you have holes in a perfect line like that is is usually a leafroller caterpillar. They get on cannas as well. just about anything with the big tropical type leaves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here