Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hueytlatoani

Winter storage; sans a basement-fridge?

hueytlatoani
15 years ago

So here's a thought I've been having; alot of people store banana rhizomes in basements, garages, crawlspaces etc...in places that are generally cool (around 45f is optimal I think) and dry. I'm in a rather sticky situation, as my house is very small, far too small to bring this years bananas inside, and it doesn't have a basement or garage, and I don't really trust the crawlspace for temperture stability. So here's what I'm thinking of doing: I have a small apartment fridge which is "just liying around" and I've hooked it up with temperture probes and have figured out how to set it for a stable 45f. I'm thinking I might store rhizomes in bags or tubs of sawdust in the fridge, and set up a de-humidifier of some sort in there to keep them from molding. Any idea if this would work? My main concern is the mold issue, but I think if that problem can be overcome this might be a good reliable way for people without thermally insulated basements etc. to store their banana rhizomes or short sections of psuedostem. Anyone tried something like this, or have suggestions?

Comment (1)