Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfhellwig

Took a pup, missed the corm, will it live?

sfhellwig
18 years ago

I was offered a pup of what is assumed to be basjoo so I figured sure why not. I have split pups from potted plants many times with no casualties yet. This was my first time cutting from in the ground. I sharpened my shovel and went in at what I thought to be the best angles. Good cut but when I pulled the pup out it didn't appear to have any corm or roots. Guess I didn't go deep enough. I was very dissappointed as the pup is a little over a foot tall and about 2 inches wide and doesn't even have a good leaf out yet. Parent plant is about 6 foot of stalk with large leaves. I have had it in a pot for a few days now. Minimal water until signs of growth. No signs of degeneration. Do you guys think it can make it or is it doomed? I know trading pups with little to no corm is bad practice but is a pup in this state capable of recovering? I'd hate to have wasted the plant when I could have left it and taken it later.

Comments (14)

• Gabe15
    18 years ago

If you have a picture that would really help to see how much you missed.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here we go, just shot over lunch.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/sfhellwig/newpup.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/sfhellwig/barefoot.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/sfhellwig/barefoot2.jpg

The closeups are a little blurry but you get the idea. I'm kinda embarassed to post this as you can see there is no real corm. This is my first experience with a pup of this size and being taken in this fashion. Is it possible? Give up and throw it out now? What should I do to give it best chances? Easy water like a usual split?

• Gabe15
    18 years ago

What you need to do is very carefully remove it from the pot, and then 'o so gently chuck it into the compost pile, lol. Seperating pups is a skill to be mastered, you'll eventually get the hang off it after enough cases like this (we've all done it in our early days, nothing to be ashamed of). But there is good news, go back in a few weeks and the pup that you thought you were removing should be growing back so you can try it again. Since you managed to completly miss the corm altogether, you actually did not damage the pup.

• joereal
    18 years ago

That's a monkey's part of the banana plant. We have a story about the monkey and turtle who one day saw a banana plant afloat on the side of the river. They took it and then decided to split it and plant it. So they cut it in half at the pseudostem, the monkey took the top part thinking it would bear fruit first because it is the top part and already loaded with leaves. The turtle got the lower part with the corm. And we all know what's gonna happen.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh for shame. Now I feel really bad because I ruined a perfectly good pup. I could go back for it again in a few weeks but by then it will be too late to get it well established before the end of the season. No basjoo for me till next year. Guess I'll just leave it in the pot and watch it wither. Chock one up to experience. So when taking pups from the ground aim really deep? To have gotten to this corm I would have been expecting to severely damage the mother. I guess I have some learning to do about large bananas in the ground. Suggestions for next time are welcome.

• greydog
    18 years ago

Well dang. I've cut the pups short a few times and just dipped them in rooting hormone and babied them along for awhile and had them thrive, but looks like yours is a gonner. If you at least get to the curve in the pup there is hope. But even when I think all is lost, I dip in rooting hormone, plant it in soil and keep it moist and cross my fingers.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    18 years ago

When I dig basjoo pups, I usually wait until they're at least 3 feet high. Then I know the corm as developed a bit. When I insert the spade, I set the tip on the ground closer to the mother stem than the pup, then angle the cut to make sure I get the entire pup corm. I don't even worry if I dig into the mother corm. It's deceiving, because in many cases the pup corm develops right next to the mother corm, and the new growth angles out laterally before emerging from the soil. See diagram:

{{gwi:416039}}

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the tips. Next time I will not make the same mistake. For now I will just let it be and water with the rest of the stuff. See what happens. If it lives it will be my "special" plant with the interesting story. Crossing fingers, I'll let you guys know.

• hibiscus909
    18 years ago

I had a similar problem the first time I tried to dig one from the ground. Very disappointing, but you learn from it.
    Dave - that diagram is *awesome* and I am sure many will find it quite illuminating!

seahorse

• ILuvGinger
    18 years ago

I do. I just bookmarked it. I know one day I'll have need for it.... one day!

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So how long should it take for this thing to die. It's been nearly 2 weeks and it's still haging in there. Stalk has not turned to mush and and it almost looks like the last leaf out has gotten a bit longer. I have been going way easy on the water so as not to rot the cut end but I'm thinking I might be going too easy on it. I cut another pup about the same time and it stalled really bad because I quit watering and left it out of the sun. I think I need to get this one into full growing conditions so it has a chance to establish before the season is over. It's make it or break it time.

• cohiba
    18 years ago

It's been a while,...any good news to report on your pup??

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well it's still not dead but there has been no progress. I never put it into the sun but have been watering it. Really it kind of sat there and did nothing. Now over this last week some of the basal leaf stalks are drying and peeling. There has never been a sign of a new leaf. I really don't think this one will grow but since it has held on for so long I am hoping there is something down there. Generally for me a dying plant always yields a pup so we'll cross our fingers some more. I will not abandon it until the entire stalk is gone and it is clear there will be no regrowth. This is good documentation I would never do on my own. Now we'll have a reference for how long a mis cut pup can last or if it can survive at all. Since the season's ending and they will all be inside soon enough it will have to either pull through quickly or die even quicker.

• sfhellwig
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alright, time to throw in the towel. I noticed more of the base turning dark, then it got loose in the soil, then I was able to pull it out of the pot with no effort. Lesson learned. Not even a sign of rooting. Some of you experienced folks already knew this but now the rest of us know. A mis-cut pup WILL NOT LIVE. I'd like to blame it on my girl's watering it every time they play outside but I know it was the initial taking that did it. However, the mothers have another going, and I have been offered a second chance. I am a little weary because of having to bring it inside but the owner is unconcerned so I guess there is nothing to lose. One last look at the supplied diagram, cut deep, wish me luck. By golly, I'm determined to keep this thread going till next spring. J/K. Still keeping you posted.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville