Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imcuban2

New product that will save your banana & palm trees in cold zones

imcuban2
18 years ago

I have a friend here in the chicago area who has a 10 foot chinese fan palm in his yard. also every year his bananas grow back every year and are huge passed 14 feet tall. He keeps them all wrapped in a product from this company here in chicago. Its a heated wire that he wraps around everything in late september. They make a thermostat that you can set to come on and off. He has his set to come on at about 34 degrees and shuts off at 40 degrees. He told me that with bananas he cuts the leaves back to where the stalk begins then wraps the stalk with the cable, then he covers the whole area under and around the banana with plastic to keep it free of any water.

http://www.wrap-on.com

Here is a link that might be useful: wrap on

Comments (12)

• weatherguy
    18 years ago

Chinese Fan Palm (Livistonia chinensis) or Chinese Windmill Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei)? If its truly a Chinese Fan that would be quite an accomplishment.

Hmmm. I might use that on my bananas...

• imcuban2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually it is a Chinese Windmill Palm Trachycarpus fortunei. Ill try and get a picture when he wraps it up.
    Myself im ordering a Trachycarpus fortunei and a Trachycarpus takil for my yard but Ill probably wait till spring. But I know its going to be a fun year tryin this stuff myself. From what I am told you can increase your zone number almost 1 to 2 zones with this stuff. Sorta opens a few more possibilities for my yard. They are supposed to have some type of set up to keep the soil warm under ground as well as the trunk above ground. and its all very simple to use and its fairly cheap.

• unautre
    18 years ago

"product from this company here in chicago"

there's a lot of products listted, which does he use to wrap his plants?

• imcuban2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I beleive its the quick grow cables because it attaches to an ajustable thermostat. But i believe he ask the guy at the company and they helped him put together what he wanted and they supplied him with extra lenghts of that flexable cable.

• gardenguy_
    18 years ago

That's pretty interesting. Has anyone here personally tried that stuff?

• unautre
    18 years ago

I was in a lighting shop a few weeks ago. they sell rope lights by the foot. you don't need to have much heat, just enough to stay above freezing. The advantage of the rope light is that they is clear, so not so ugly in the daytime. At night, of course, it could be pretty cool. :)

None of this electrical stuff is cheap. Better that everybody move to San Diego, or the Gulf Coast! :)

• chitown033
    18 years ago

So he wraps his plants in late september... even before the frost sets in????? Hmmm...

I wrapped my trachy for a total 40 days this ENTIRE winter. They can take easily down to 10F, they are not zone 10 plants.

Chitown

• chitown033
    18 years ago

Also,
    "Chinese Windmill Palm Trachycarpus fortunei." is not a palm. Chinese fan palm is one type of palm, and the Windmill Palm, Trachycarpus Fortunei, is a very different type of palm.

Chitown

• elz36
    16 years ago

where do you buy the palms that will survive the Chicago winters?

• allen491
    16 years ago

The grow cables are supposed to be underground with no part of the cable overlapping or exposed while in operation. I use a similar cable as far as heat output is concerned. This cable is not to be overlapped or to come into contact with the ground while in operation. It is designed to be used to keep waterlines from freezing and includes a thermostat that turns it on/off at 37/43*F. A 30 Ft section with thermostat cost me $50. How does the cost of the grow cables compare?

Most Bananas need to be kept from freezing. Putting them away for winter should occur before the first frost. I keep my palms at 22*F or higher for the winter.

• angelfairy
    16 years ago

It would be interesting to see how well the palms and banana's did up in Chicago and other northern states this winter. How about some reports come late spring???

• banana_fun
    16 years ago

I have used heating cables for my palms before, just make sure the cable never overlaps. Mine shorted and they cannot be repaired.