Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baxb

New banana plant

baxb
12 years ago

I just bought a banana plant for my container garden. Im a beginner gardner so need some wisdom from you guys. I live in NW UK which i think is zone7 (not actually sure as couple sites have me diff zone nos) i have repotted into bigger pot and spread fertilizer pills into soil. The label didnt give much info except to keep winter heat above 15� and keep well watered. I read that some banana plants needs to be indoors all the time and some say outdoors in summer only. The label said MUSA TROPIC....(last bit of name was ripped so dont know real full name yet).

Can you guys offer me any help on how to look after this young banana plant and anyone know the actual name? My outdoor container garden is SW facing and i have a window for plants that is NE facing.

Also will is grow any fruit or is it ornamental? Do i need to cut it down for winter or wil it die down itself- or should i wait for it to be settled in? Better indoors or keep outside (more sun in the north face window) and is my pot big enough for these plants or does it need more space for roots? I plan on keeping it on its own rather than mixing it with other plants. Thanks for reading!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor