Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tribal717

Spider Mites on Bananas

tribal717
16 years ago

Does anyone know of an effective solution to control spider mites on banana plants brought indoors for the winter months. I know there are a few very expensive insecticides on the market, but I am looking for something a bit cheaper. I have been hosing them off frequently but they always seem to come back. Has anyone had any luck with insecticidal soaps?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

I feel your pain. Bananas seem to be a huge attractant for spider mites. I've done the neem oil and another extract using rosemary oil...smells a lot better! The both work to a certain extent but don't seem to wipe them out. Once you get them back into the house, that makes it tough to spray things. The smell, the residue, and some of these cause the banana leaves to sort of unravel.

I just put a load of predator mites on mine in the greenhouse. They seem to be doing the job. Too early to tell what the final outcome will be. I guessing that if there is one spider mite hiding out somewhere, it is a colony just waiting to happen.

I would vigorously hose them off several days in a row prior to bringing them in. This will kill some and also interrupt their cycle. If you don't have too many plants and they are not too big, once in the house, you'll just have to keep wiping the plants and leaves with a soapy rag. Just my two cents at battling these things for the last four years.

• topher2006
    16 years ago

I just go to wal-mart and get the schultz 3 in 1 fungal
    spray .. in the blue bottle..it takes care of fungus,bugs and other things your plants can get and it's cheap !

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

If you get spider mites, mix up this mix and use a rag or soft sponge to wipe it on all surfaces of the leaf. Don't miss any places. It's the only way to put it on without moving the plants.
    One cup cooking oil, and one Tablespoon dish detergent. (A man running the Garfield Park Conservatory told me you can use Suave shampoo, the coconut kind instead of the dish detergent, and I've used it before with good results too.They would use that in there so they could spray hot spots on cloudy days without closing the conservatory. It smells really good that way.) Mix it all together well and then put 1-2 teaspoons of the mix in a cup of warm water and use immediately while it's still mixed. If it separates, shake it up again.
    It's non-toxic, I suppose you could put the plants in the bathtub and spray them with it really well as long as you got it to the point of runoff, and didn't miss any spots too. If they're small enough to carry.
    You can use this in a fish pond too if you get those aphids on your water plants. Just try to spray more on the plants than the water surface.
    Don't EVER use this mix in full sun. You will fry every leaf off everything you spray it on. Wait till it's shady.
    I'm mixing up another batch and spraying it tomorrow morning on some elephant ears. Those darn things are spider mite magnets, as dry as it's been around here lately.

• Nikitas_10a, Corfu
    16 years ago

There is a very informative and concise factsheet on the subject of red mite, posted on the web site of Ohio State University. It makes several suggestions as to how one can control red mites. Some of these have been mentioned in this thread already.

Most mite species thrive on a dry and hot environment, so personally, I've used spraying with water (most mite species hate water) and moving the potted plants to a cooler place. For severe infestations I resorted to chemicals (Avermectin).

Good luck,

Nikitas

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider Mites And Their Control (OSU)

• tribal717
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you guys so much for all of your input. I will try some of these solutions, hopefully with some success. Thanks again.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville