Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucid_infinity

New older Blue Java

lucid.infinity
13 years ago

We are somewhat new to growing bananas, and started with a dwarf cavendish. It seems to be doing very well so far, however it is only about 4 months old. However we stumbled upon a Blue Java (Ice cream) the other day. It seemed to have a bit of damaged due to naive greenhouse storage. Some of the older leaves had to be pruned, but we still have about 5 large ones that are healthy. The plant itself was almost 7 ft tall when we brought it home, and again it appears pretty healthy. It seems to have a possible pup sprouting (which is only about an inch tall and barely sticking out of the roots/corm. Aside from having to deal with transplanting stress and the plant getting used to the new environment... Most sources say that within 12 months the plant will begin flowering. If we indeed have a pup going, I assume more will follow, and the process will continue as intended. Yes? No? Does this sound right? It has been somewhat frustrating so far, because at times it often feels like we know more about bananas than any of the experts we have talked to. We have done, and continue to do research on these wonderful plants, but when we do have a question that we can't answer... It is rough because no one else seems to know any better than us. :-)

Please feel free to ask more questions, I didn't want to upload a giant history of our plants. We grow indoors, in pots as we live in an apartment and in Wisconsin. :-)

Comments (4)

• aveo5
    13 years ago

Well if you have a pups staring, you could have more coming up at anytime. BUT they usually put out pups after they have already bloomed and fruited. Are you sure it has not already fruited? At that size, what did you pay for it? If it was a super low price for what you got, it probably did already fruit. and the greenhouse was trying to get rid of it. BUT you have pups on the way, so you win in the end.

The pups will take longer than 1 year to fruit,BUT if the main 'tree' didnt bloom yet, then it could bloom and fruit in a year or less. But the pups will take 2 years or more, in your area. Short summers and all. They need the heat and sun to get them to grow and be strong to fruit. If you can grow it and it lives through the winter, give it as much sun as possible,and leave it outside if you can, as long as possible, before your first cold/very cool night. If the main plant doesnt put out any new leaves, soon,it probably fruited, and if it does put out pups, let them get to a pretty good size, maybe a foot or so, and then cut the main plant down almost to the level of the soil. It is feeding the pups. So once it has fed them, it is useless, and you might as well get rid of it. Especially if the leaves you have on it start to die. But if the main plant does put out new leaves, then you could be due for the bloom stalk very soon! Give it lots of light, fertilize it, and maybe you will have fruit soon.

• lucid.infinity
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow. I will probably have to re-read that later to my other half... thank god he's as crazy as I am.

So here's the deal on the java... Yes, it was at a greenhouse where they were admittedly trying to clear space in the greenhouse for winter. We paid $20, and really, I still think it was a steal. The horticulturist we spoke to at the greenhouse said none of the ones she had left fruited while she had them, she didn't know anything else. Basically brushed it off saying that she gets a semi full of plants and is too busy to care about each one.

Here's the thing... The pup looking thing, hasn't really noticeably grown, but is still green and looks as if it's trying to rally. Parts of this tree were really in rough shape when we brought it home last week, so I'm not entirely suprised. But in the last 3 days, we noticed a brand spanking new giant leaf pushing it's way up. It is just standing tall announcing it's awesomeness. Now, as for heat, humidity, and sunlight... We're on top of those issues as best as we can for indoor apartment growing.
    We grow in a 12x12 west facing room (the warmest room of the apartment even when it's -30F outside) the humidity is usually at the lowest in the 50% range, our hygrometer took a crap and we're getting another one to be sure our humidity is not too low or high (don't want drywall falling down hahaha) heat NEVER below 60, and we have grow lights that ensure that our plants get happy healthy light for 10-12 hours a day. Now, here's the issue we have. We are meticulous about the water, fertilizer, soil composition, light, heat, humidity, et cetera. We keep careful records, like scientists, so we can track what did and didn't work. The java came in some crap @ss soil with god knows what thrown into it... And of course, we weren't able to sift that out when we repotted because at that point, the thing was so big, we didn't want to destroy the corm on accident. It had some nasty looking long time release fertilizer granules in the soil. We would normally use foxfire farms soils and fertilizer mixed with our water (we obviously don't need to fertilize our cavendish much since the soil is still very rich in nutrients)... I'm not thrilled with the idea of not knowing how much is already being released in the java and adding more.
    Right now, I'm SO thankful for your advise/opinion... It made me feel much better about how we're doing as banana parents. If you have any other questions, let me know, I'll do my best to answer for ya. And if this darn thing actually starts to get a bloom stalk... There will be photos.

• jus256
    13 years ago

Lucid,
    I suggest you bite the bullet and pay the $5 to post at bananas.org. You can get any question answered there. I can think of at least one person who is growing your variety in Wisconsin who posts there regularly. I have to disagree with Aveo. Most bananas pup before the plant flowers. As you know, if your plant in still making new leaves, it has not flowered. The flower is the last step in the growing process. You may need to just fertilize a bit more or increase the size of your pot in order to get the pup to grow.

• lucid.infinity
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks.
    Before we bought the plants, we considered joining banana.org (we lurked there for months before making our purchases)

However, we had noticed that many questions posted there go far more unanswered than here. We were actually so unimpressed by that forum that we just decided to grit our teeth, do our own research and do it without much help. I found this one after the fact and thought "at the least people answer questions, talk about relevant things and love bananas".

If my questions are too involved or otherwise inappropriate for this forum, let me know, I don't mean to be a bother in a forum like this.