Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa basjoo growth

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 11:26

Just a few photos of my back garden (as seen from our rooftop deck), showing the explosive growth of Musa basjoo over a 2 month period. The clump is 6 or 7 years old and this is the biggest it has ever grown. Hard to believe that this plant dies to the ground every winter and all this growth is just since early May!

To view photos full size, click on the photo to go to my Flickr album, then click on "all sizes".

Photo from early June--note that the banana (upper left) is barely visible:

Garden_mid_June

Mid-June, less than two weeks later:

Garden_June_16

Mid July:

Rooftop_view

Late July:

Garden

Closer look:

Garden

BTW here's a view of the banana from a different angle--it's a nice place to sit and get out of the midday sun on a hot day!

bananas

And finally mid-August:

Garden

Garden

More photos in my Flickr album!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa basjoo growth

That is wonderful! It looks like a perfectly magical spot to do some serious relaxing. :-)

o
RE: Musa basjoo growth

Thanks, unfortunately we have a serious mosquito problem so the time I can spend in the garden this time of year is extremely limited: :o( Between the heat, humidity & bugs I try to get all my garden work done in the spring so I can sit back and relax in the summer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here