Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivek_m

Banana morphology?

vivek.m
17 years ago

Hey, Hello, Hi, Are there any resources online that explain with nice pics, the morphology of a banana; stuff like cross section of a stem and the various parts, where the inflorescence starts within the stem, drawings of the underground rhizom and eye.

I've done the usual google search, but haven't found pics on the cross section of stem and i don't understand how the inflorescence develops from within the stem and pushes out.

The stem is actually a bunch of leaf stalk that is compressed, but is that many compressed leaf stalk arranged concentrically from in to out? Does banana have a pith? Are there any research papers published on how banana plants grow and develop?

I've got banana growing, but they grow very tall and break unless i prop them up with poles. I was wondering if you could prune them for short height but large fruit.

Oh! and i'm just learning gardening as a hobby - so..i'm not a professional grower or anything like that; I'm from Bangalore, India. This is my first post to your forum, though it's not my first post on gardenweb.

Comments (7)