Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenpassion

Diseases of musa basjoo? Pups?

greenpassion
13 years ago

I have several pups taken from a 7ft tall Musa Basjoo potted on my deck. All the pups were over 2ft when taken, and had several thick long roots on them at transplant. They are potted in good potting soil, like Mom. The first one I took now looks like it's got something. There are dark brown areas on the leaf edges and the brown seems to be spreading inward from the edge. Are there specific diseases that bannanas get??

Comments (2)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

My musa basjoo in shade gets the same problem. I think it might just be an overwatering problem or maybe a lack of sun. I cut the brown spots and Im hoping less water fixes the problem, but Im not sure if thats a definite fix. My other Musa basjoo gets more sun and has no signs of a brown spot (but it sure hates the wind!)
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• greenpassion
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is to tropicalzone7. I have read here that musa can't be over watered. The more the better. ? I water both my musa and my red abyssenian every day and they seem to love it. I have all my bannanas in full sun. As far as brown 'spots', what I have are browning leaf edges, and the brown spreads. I don't want to loose these pups, and I'm worried that if they are sick, my 'mom' may catch it.