Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_virginian

Best Banana Fertilizer EVER! Milorganite

the_virginian
16 years ago

I have used Milorganite for two years now on my Musa Basjoos, M. Lasiocarpa and Red Abysinians with superior results. Milorganite is cheap, about $8-10 a 40 lb bag and I use two in my garden with atleast one bag going on the bananas. I have had phenomenal growth, approaching 20 feet with some types and the biggest leaves ever. I use Miracle Gro in the hose sprayer too, but since adding Milorganite to my fertilization schedule, the difference has been striking. Milorganite is heat treated sewage from Milwaukee, WI and is on a sewer system that does not take industrial waste except brewer's waste from the beer making industry. It is also safe to use on food crops unlike some sewage based products. I don't work for them or have any interest whatsoever. All I can say is this stuff works and can even get Saba Bananas close to 30 feet in a growing season.

Comments (17)

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Sounds good for next season.

• joefalco
    16 years ago

where do you get the stuff?

• paradisi
    16 years ago

I've got about 8 lady finger bananas - and the strongest growers are over a pit I buried about a cubic metre of lemon grass leaves that I'd cut down. Maybe worthwhile finding something in your area that works under the soil as well as on top of it??

My lady fingers above the lemon grass cuttings are about 8 metres tall - 26 foot?? too tall to reach the fruit stalk when they become ripe - with me wobbling on the top of a six foot ladder

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Home Depot, Lowes and most garden centers or nurseries will carry it. About $8-12 per 40lb bag. I use about 2-3 per season on everything and very heavy on the bananas. In my area I apply it in May and through July.

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Virginian,Iis it a good "all around" for perennials like hibiscus? Does it last for awhile? Have been using osmocote, but it gets expensive and we all know what a pain miracle-gro is.You know, the blue fingers!LOL

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nucci60: Milorganite works great on hibiscus and they have huge flowers as a result of its heavy use. Much better and economical than osmocote and lasts about 2-3 months depending on how high the soil temperature gets. Almost everything, including your lawn, trees and shrubs will respond very well to Milorganite. Since you can't really burn your plants with it, too much isn't too much.

• tropicalintoronto
    16 years ago

Can I apply this stuff for the first time in September? I should have another 3-4 weeks of good growth.

Thanks,
    Phil

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't see why not, but the benefit might only be slight before the first frost.

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I used a little the other day to make sure I got the last spurt of growth out of the bananas. One other benefit of Milorganite is deer and other garden eating critters hate the stuff and will leave your plants alone in almost every case. Deer don't even come on my property now.

• modenacart
    16 years ago

Have you notice an increase in fruit production? I looked at a package of this the other day and saw that it has no potassium. At the lowes near me they sell 40 pound bags of 10-10-10 fertilizer for about 5 dollars.

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

this was taken from an ag Canada article

Sludgewatch Admin:

Troubled times for Milorganite. High fuel costs for drying, lots of cities
    giving away free sludge pellets, (or paying people to take it), make it
    harder to justify making Milorganite. In 2004 there were 16,308 tons of
    Milorganite was sent to Florida. That's nearly half their production.

And I notice that in the past, lab tests for Milorganite were coming from a
    laboratory that was not accredited to do tests on sludge....wonder if that
    is still the case. And Canada had to send back a batch of Milorganite
    because it was growing salmonella. But the folks at Milorganite don't even
    bother to test for salmonella, so how is the company going to know whether
    the material it is sending to Canada complies with Canada's fertilizer
    requirements? You see, the US allows a Class A sludge product like
    Milorganite to be contaminated with salmonella so long as it meets the fecal
    coliform counts.

So wash your hands. Keep the kids away. And golfers...? You might want to
    keep your gloves on when you touch your balls.

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Uncook poultry and a bad cold cut sandwich can have Salmonella in it so the point is moot. The end product has been heat sterilized and like any product if it is mishandled, gets wet and is left in the right environment can grow bacteria that could potentially be harmful to humans. The soil in our yards is probably just as dangerous if we didn't wash our hands. It seems the Canadian press and environmentalist propaganda makers in and our of their government, make much to do about nothing. All I can say is the stuff works great and I have never had any adverse effects from its use. In the US it can even be used on vegetables.

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BTW: The heavy metal content is less than many commerically available synthetic fertilizers that are commonly used by gardeners on lawns, ornamentals and food crops.

• JohnnieB
    16 years ago

For more information about Milorganite, see the linked fact sheet from Cornell University.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milorganite fact sheet

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The link is generally positive and the so called risks are not defined as being present in Milorganite with any data. As pointed out in the white paper, it meets or exceeds current standards for safety and is able to be used on food crops. The white paper merely cautions folks IF they are concerned, not that they should be concerned with its use. Compared to synthetic fertilizers, Milorganite is very clean and a better alternative to use in the garden.

• Melanie Lynn
    6 years ago

at what rate do you apply the milorganite?

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals