Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Make Annuals Into Perennials?

Posted by shady_character 5A (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 12:37

I hope that title catches someone's eye! Here in S'ern Wisconsin dwarf bananas are sold by the finest garden centers to be used as annuals for the uber chic like me ;) to get the tropical look in the dairy land.

I know nanners are really perennials and would like to experiment with carrying them over to next year. I could do a gray, dark windowsill approach but would rather not if I could get around it.

It's been suggested to me that the plants can just be cut off and stored cold over the winter and restarted in spring. They're currently in #1 containers. I have a cold storage room that stays around 50-55F most of the winter. Can I do this? And if so, what are the technical details?

Thanks for any help!
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Make Annuals Into Perennials?

Yes, but I don't have much experience doing it that way.

Last fall, I had an 7' Ensete 'Maurelli' in an 18" pot. I decapitated it just above the meristem and put the pot in a cool, dark part of my basement. I expected it to die so did nothing else. In early April, I put it into a warm greenhouse where I start my seeds. I gave it water and fertilizer. Much to my surprise, it grew very fast. I put it outside in the middle of May. It was back to 7' by the end of June.

o

Thanks! I'm just going to try several things since I've got three plants that cost me next to nothing.

o

Depending on how big they are, you could probabbly keep them at the 55 deg temps, give them some supplemental light from a grow light, easy on the water and they'll probably be ok next spring. But hey...I'm in Florida, so I just leave mine in the ground all year...Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here