Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do about overwintering a potted Musa with pups?

Posted by greenpassion z4-z5 VT (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 13:23

I love this forum. Anyway, I have to decide what to do with my Musa this fall. She's about 6ft tall, in a large pot on my deck. There are around 4 to 5 pups there, and I haven't a clue as to what to do with them. I want to bring the pot inside and ?? keep it in my studio with heat and light? or cut it (them) down at soil level and put them in my dark cool basement?? I'm nervous about not feeling confident-I love this plant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do about overwintering a potted Musa with pups?

I have about 6 Musa Dwarf Cavendish bananas that reproduce at a steady rate so I just remove the soil from the parent plant, cut away the pups and repot the babies. The problem I am having at this time is that the babies are having babies! (latest count is 21 pups) LOL....I do overwinter mine in the house in an east window with heat in the room, and they do just fine that way. Hope this is helpful.

o
RE: What to do about a potted Musa with brown edged leaves?

Thanks sjackwheat. Do you have your banannas in pots or outside? What zone are you? Another question, the one pup I've cut off from mom and repotted is getting brown edges on the leaves. I know it's common for the lower leaves to turn, but these are the top ones. I am worried it's sick. I've got it outside in good potting soil like the mother. If it's sick, can I use a fungicide on it? I have a product called greencure that works super well on my other plants. It cures and prevents rust, powdery mildew, and many fungus diseases. I am hesitant to use anything on this baby.

o

How big was the pup you cut off? Did it have any roots of its own yet? They need to be at least a few feet tall with a good root system to transplant successfully.

o

The pup was over two ft. tall, and I got more than 3 white thick roots with a bublish thing at the pups base. It looked fine the first few days. Now it doesn't look sick really, but the edges of the leaves are turning brown, even the top ones. The newest leaf looks kind of flimsy too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here