Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalmt04_gw

Siam Ruby

crystalmt04
13 years ago

I just planted a Siam Ruby a couple of days ago and after doing some research, I'm a little worried about it making it through the winter. I guess this variety seems to be more tender to cold temps?

I really didn't want to get such a tender tropical, but it was really cheap for a 4' tall plant, I only paid $12. Plus I didn't know how sensitive it really was.

The lady at the nursery said just to heavily mulch it and wrap something around the bottom of the trunk. Will this be enough?

I'm new to gardening and have never had plants to take care of till now. If it would be best to bring it in over winter, how exactly do I do that? Put it in a pot and only water once a month? Do I cut it back or anything? I would keep it in my sunroom which doesn't have central heating, but there's a window unit in there, should I turn this on once a day or over night to keep it warm in there?

Sorry for all the questions, but I hate to kill plants, no matter how cheap they are! Thanks for any advice!

Comments (4)

• User
    13 years ago

Funny I should see this post on the Siam Ruby Red. I was recently at a garden center and they had nice-sized bananas for only $5.00. I bought the Musa zebrina and passed on the Siam Red. I could have kicked myself (they also had basjoos, and a few dwarfs--which I have). I do believe that the Siam is rather tender (compared to Orinocos or Himalayans for example). I'm not sure if it would overwinter in your area (mulched and kept dry??). If I had doubt, I'd just lift them before frost and keep them protected over winter. I cut the leaves off mine and just store the rhizome with its trunk (which I also cut down to save space). Or you could pot it up, bring it inside and continue growing as a houseplant--if you have the sun and space! If you let the plant go dormant for the Winter, keep the rhizomes in a mild/dry area (guessing above 50 F). I check them once or twice over the course of the Winter to make sure they don't completely dry out but that's it. Good luck! PS., I had to order one of these beauties this morning!

• crystalmt04
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, mine looks kinda wimpy. Not sure why I bought it other than really wanting to bring something home, being rushed because it was the nursery's closing time (I didn't know the hours), and the price.

I'm trying to turn the area around my hot tub into a tropical look, but I really didn't want to get anything truly tropical that I'd have to baby. Oh well!

I just hope it starts growing and looking better. How long should I wait to start to fertilizing? I also know these things like water so I've been watering it every day. That's not too much is it?

• User
    13 years ago

I hose every down outside--sometimes twice a day if it's extremely hot--so, no it shouldn't be too much. I would be fertilizing it now--bananas are heavy feeders. If you want tropical and like bananas, you should try to grow Musa basjoos or the Chinese yellow banana--both will come up ever year if only mulched--they're hardy to zone 7 (but will die down after the first moderate frost). The Chinese yellow are not tall, but they do readily produce long-lasting, big, yellow flowers--they also sucker readily so you can propagate them. I would also try to create that tropical look with plants that will be evergreen in your area so you can enjoy the hot tub in the Winter. Not sure if they would be appropriate for S.A. Texas but perhaps would consider Little Gem Magnoilas, Acuba japonica, camellias, Fatsias, clumping bamboos, windmill palms, yuccas, and maybe a loquat tree. The bananas can always be used seasonally in the warmer months.

• Richard
    9 years ago

Where in San Antonio did u find these?