Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
endeitz

Recommendations for fruiting (if even possible) in 8a/b?

endeitz
17 years ago

Hello,

I am in Austin, TX, which is 8b but very near the 8a/b transition. I have read quite a few posts in this forum, but could not get a good feel for whether there is a type of banana that would produce (at least somewhat) edible fruit in my zone, without digging or too much work with protection.

The "California Gold" variety seems to be mentioned as reliable in 9, but I didn't see any references to 8b/a. Also, it seems to be rather rare, and I have little for trading. Can it be purchased online?

I currently have a Musa Basjoo (just planted this year, is now about 6' high) and what I believe is a Dwarf Orinoco, although I could be wrong. It dies back under the mulch every year, but comes up with several pups in the spring. I am waiting to see if the Basjoo "stalk" (pseudostem is it?) will survive with just some heavy mulching.

The reason I want something to produce edible fruit is because my two young kids really enjoy the "fruits" of vegetable gardening and I think would be absolutely stunned if we could grow a banana.

Thanks for any advice you might give. I realize you guys get these kinds of questions all of the time, so I appreciate your patience.

Cheers,

Ed.

Comments (4)