Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mullenium

Dwarf Cavendish Trouble *pics*

mullenium
14 years ago

I Purchased a dwarf cavendish from a local nursery and had it planted in my yard for maybe a week before i realized the location wasn't ideal as it was getting full sun all day long, so i moved it because the PHX sun can get a bit nasty. Ever since then it started to decline. The leaves would only come out half way then the tips would start to turn brittle and dry up, then the other night i checked it and the layers around the stalk were black and mushy, so i peeled them all and cut them at the base as you can see, to try and remove as much of the mushyness as I could.

These plants have been in the ground for maybe 5 or 6 months

{{gwi:417232}}

{{gwi:417233}}
{{gwi:417234}}

The banana to it's right I purchased at Lowes and planted a couple weeks after I moved the one on the left, and it has been thriving and growing like crazy!

I used Kelloggs soil n'riching compost / mulch as the growing medium on both plants, so I dont think that could be the reason for it's decline.

I also planted both with mychorrizal fungi, so im not sure if that could be it? again both were planted with it and only one is declining.

I did add a bit of superthrive to the one on the left when it first started to decline, so maybe that did it?

Any ideas? Should I cut the mother plant on the left down as far as I can and let it's single pup take over? Seems to me like thats my only option since i peeled the sides of the mother when or if it grows it might not be able to support itself now.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?