Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imcuban2

Is this a musa basjoo mutation?

imcuban2
18 years ago

Hey I have a question. My basjoo has been in the ground since last year. I had went to a friends house in joliet whos has had a mother plant in the ground for about 5 years. I dug both up as pups myself and put them both in the ground at the same time and they looked exactly the same. One made it through the first winter with its original stalk and one died all the way back. Well when spring came the first one shot up in hieght and kind of slender. The one that died all the way back didnt start to grow back until maybe a month later. The plant that started growing back was twice as wide as the original one that had died and much shorter. This one has red splotches all over it and red in the stalk as well. Its leaves are much thicker and curve back really far ( which helps it stand up to the wind wind I might add ). It has yet to send up any pups yet. One weird thing I noticed is that the taller plant sends up its new leaf straight out the center. But the shorter one, sends up a center leaf that follows the leaf before it. it grows hidden and curved untill it gets 6 inches or so then pops straight out.Also the short one has a stalk almost as thick as the taller one. Heres the pictures, what do you think?

{{gwi:417279}}
{{gwi:417280}}

Comments (2)