Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

miraculous rooting--I can't believe it!

sandy0225
17 years ago

I was separating some bananas I've been growing in pots in the greenhouse for sale. They are Bordelons. They had some nice pups about 8 inches to a foot tall. Most of them, I separated just fine, but there were four that I accidentally cut off without getting the roots.

I know from experience that they were a lost cause, they had some of the white stem at the bottom where whey had been attached to the corm of the mother plant, but they didn't have any roots-- but they were so pretty that I decided to stick them in the stream/waterfall to my pond where I root a lot of hard-to-root plants over summer. I thought at least they'd die slowly and I'd feel like I was giving them a chance.

Today I looked over there and noticed that the tops still looked good. I thought "I'll just go and see how rotten they're getting at the bottom, because I know they will die", and pulled them out and THEY HAVE ROOTS!

So if you have a pond and a place to circulate the pond water over the stubs, maybe you can root those stubs, too. I cut off a couple more suckers off a large clump of basjoo in the yard and stuck them in there today just to see what happens. The stream part is in the shade under a tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bordelon pond water roots

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?