Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
miraculous rooting--I can't believe it!

Posted by sandy0225 z5 Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 18:10

I was separating some bananas I've been growing in pots in the greenhouse for sale. They are Bordelons. They had some nice pups about 8 inches to a foot tall. Most of them, I separated just fine, but there were four that I accidentally cut off without getting the roots.
I know from experience that they were a lost cause, they had some of the white stem at the bottom where whey had been attached to the corm of the mother plant, but they didn't have any roots-- but they were so pretty that I decided to stick them in the stream/waterfall to my pond where I root a lot of hard-to-root plants over summer. I thought at least they'd die slowly and I'd feel like I was giving them a chance.
Today I looked over there and noticed that the tops still looked good. I thought "I'll just go and see how rotten they're getting at the bottom, because I know they will die", and pulled them out and THEY HAVE ROOTS!
So if you have a pond and a place to circulate the pond water over the stubs, maybe you can root those stubs, too. I cut off a couple more suckers off a large clump of basjoo in the yard and stuck them in there today just to see what happens. The stream part is in the shade under a tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bordelon pond water roots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: miraculous rooting--I can't believe it!

I guess I'm not that good at posting pictures like I thought I was, here's the correct link, they are in the August folder. The last picture is a little fuzzy because I had it too close to the camera, I think, but you can see the white root sticking out of the stump.

Here is a link that might be useful: look in the august photos folder for the pictures

o
RE: miraculous rooting--I can't believe it!

I had a similar experience last Spring. When I was removing the mulch from around my musella lasiocarpa, two of the smaller sprouts near the ground broke away from the main stem without any roots. The bottom seemed to be rotten. On one 12 inch sprout there were 6 tiny lentil size buds. I potted the sprout, covering the buds with sand and put it in the greenhouse. I now have 6 or 7 twenty inch musella spouts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here