Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black stalk on musa rajapuri

Posted by beachbarbie z9a NC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 19:21

I have a Musa rajapuri which has been in the ground for over a year. Last year it bloomed. Basically, it's a happy banana...until lately.
Now one "trunk" has black on the outside and the leaves have black on the rib and spots on rest. The rest of the plant is fine.
We're in a drought (15" below in rainfall) and I have not been watering this much at all.
I am not sure when the problem started; I do know it's been at least 3 weeks.
Any ideas? I could just cut this whole stalk down. There are two more, so it's not like I'll lose the plant.
I've attached a link to the pics - they're in the Garden folder and called Musa rajapuri
Thanks for any advise,
Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbie's Garden folder

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black stalk on musa rajapuri

I don't really see anything drastically wrong from the picture.

o

North Carolina,zone 9a?

o

Pitangadiego,
That is the other option....
I hadn't heard of these bananas having black stalks and things are so stressed here with the drought, I'm probably seeing problems where there aren't any.
Nucci60,
Yes, that's right - zone 9a. Wilmintgon, just to our North is zone 8. We have the Cape Fear River on one side and the ocean on the other. Temps don't get below the high 20's here. I've had tropical hibiscus, boston ferns and nun's cap orchids overwinter in the ground with no problem.
Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here