Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I separate the pups?

Posted by roxannemoskal Z6 PA (roxxanne@comcast.net) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 20:11

I'm new to bananas and I'm hoping I can over winter my dwarf cavendish in the basement. It has alot of pups some of them are getting pretty big. shoud I separate them or just leave them alone? If I did want to separate 1 or 2 to swap or whatever, how would I do this?
Roxanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I separate the pups?

You can separate now, if you wish to. I overwinter SDC bananas last year in my basement. No water or light, right in the pot of dirt. As a matter of fact, I did some separating of my basjoos today. I have two 3 foot high stalks and one large 2 foot high dwarf orinoco stalk. They're in the trash now, cause I have no more room for them. Damn, I really do feel guilty as hell. If some still wants em, I could dig em out.

o

Gardenguy, as someone who is just starting out with banana's (have a nice Musa basjoo, about 4' and growing strong) I'll take what your tossing away and give it a try if its not too late. I'll emailyou the same and see what we can do.

o

gardenguy, why don't you try to sell them or give them away to neighbors, friends or family. I'd love to have them, but if they were in the trash for this long, I wouldn't want to risk paying money for you to ship a couple dead bananas to me.

If you have no one else to give them to and don't want the hassle of mailing them, maybe next time you could drop them off at your local nursery, they just might give you a discount on your next purchase. Who knows.

o

Gardenguy, chrisltropical brings up a great idea. Try a local nursery. At least they will stand a chance adn you will know you did the best for them.
If you still want to give them to someone, and you think they are still viable let me know. You can email me at michonjd"at"earthlink.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here