Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do they taste different?

Posted by rayandgwenn z10 Puerto Rico (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 18, 06 at 20:14

Hi Everyone- I have a few types of banana plants growing here. Some that taste like the kind from the store and some Manzana bananas that taste appley.
I know there are lots of other varieties- I really want to know if they taste different.
I guess what I am asking- Is it worth my while to get a bunch of other types of bananas?
I don't really need them for "the tropical look" since I have that naturally. I grow them for the fruit or in special cases (AE-AE) the variegation.
I would appreciate your opinion if there are any other types that taste great or different and are a "must" for banana lovers-
Gwenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do they taste different?

Absolutely YES!

You need Misi Luki, a Namwah, Monthan, Praying Hands, Goldfinger, Mysore, Lakatan, Pisang Ceylon, and more.

o

i agree with the last post.
the difference can be huge!
ice cream is one you have to get.
its like vanilla custard

o

Thing is, where do I get ice cream bananas? Not the plant, but rather the banana itself?

o

Thanks for the info- I have an ice cream banana plant somewhere- I should find it and plant it- give it a chance.
I will look around for some other recommended varieties.
-Gwenn

o

how about best tasting dwarf variety (for container), ice cream, dwarf orinoco(sp?)
cheers,
-Ethan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here