Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

MNew Addition, Help with I D of Mystery Naner...

Ok,

A small local neighborhood nursery and gift shop had a banana plant left over from this summer's plant stock. This guy was in a "display" arrangment, in the center of a large pot, with some sweet potato vines in with him draping over the sides. I asked if they would sell it to me, and they said sure, for $20.00. So I had them dig him out and plop him in a plan old plastic nursery pot just to transport him the few blocks home. There WAS actaully a tag in with him, and it says he is a Musa Grand Nain.

I would like to know if anyone can verify this, or if it might be something else like a basjoo, or cavendish.

He is loaded with pups, about 5 or 6, a couple of which are fairly big, maybe approaching 2 feet.

The main reason I want to know is so I can determine how I am going to handle him for the winter. If its not a basjoo or other cold hardy (corm hardy here in my zone 8) I would like to know so I can figure out how to deal with him indoors for the winter.

Here are the photos:

{{gwi:417926}}

{{gwi:417928}}

{{gwi:417930}}

This last photo below is of one of the large pup's leaves. They have the familliar dark sploches on them, that look like a deep redish to me.

{{gwi:417931}}

Also, in one of the photos above, you can see the pseudostem is fairly red in color. I did pull away 2 of the oldest, and very small leaves which revealed the more red part of the stem.

Any ideas if this is in fact a grand nain? If it isnt, then what exactly do you think it is? It sure does look ALOT like my basjoo, but its alot smaller. It was grown in a smaller container so far this whole summer as well. My basjoo is in a gigantic pot, which is probably why hes gotten real good hight.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (3)