Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proud of My Banana and Wants More.

Posted by ashing NE Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 21:13

Hello,

I am a new resident to Northeast Florida. I recently bought a house where the former owner had apparently transplanted a wild banana tree from the woods near my home to my front yard. Then my family first moved in (MARCH) the Banana Tree looked like a shriveled brown fern stump. I argued with my wife on whether or not to pull it up. Since March, the tree has really taken off. It now stands over 8 ft tall and produces a new 1 X 3 leaf every 2-3 days. My wife and I both are quite proud of it even though we deserve none of the credit for its vigor. I have a few questions.

1. Should I be concerned with such rapid growth? Will it die as quickly as it grows?

2. I have been told that banana trees die soon after they produce fruit. Is this true??? If so how can keep it from fruiting, because I am really digging the shade this beautiful tree is providing?

3. Lots of sprouts are beginning at the base. These sprouts are becoming pretty fast growing trees too. Can I easily transplant these small trees to other parts of my yard without damaging the original plant?

4. I have found where the former owner of my property got the original wild tree. There is quite a prolific grove of banana trees there. Would it be easy to duplicate the former residents transplant?

I look forward to your responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proud of My Banana and Wants More.

1. No.
2. Yes, it will die, and no, you cannot stop it.
3. Yes.
3. Yes.

o

• Posted by ashing 8 & 9 (on or near bo (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 9:27

I guess it is obvious that I am not a native of Florida. My Neighbors say that while Banana Trees cast good shade that they are not generally used that way. One neighbor says that they are best as ornamental plants. He said that the fruit is not even that great. I have also come to understand that my Banana Trees will die back some in the winter months.

1. If the Main Tree dies soon after it fruits will at least the sprouts become as tall and full as the original plant?

2. How long does it usually take before a banana tree fruits?

3. Should I proactively trim back the tree before the onset of winter to preserve the plants energy in the roots?

o

1. Yes.
2. in San Diego, 2 to 2-1/2 years.
3. No. Never remove anything that is green.

o

This thing about Banana dying after they fruit. I'd like to know more please ...

Does the rhizome itself die? Or just the cane?

Having the cane die away isn't such a bad deal. We just had a very hard freeze this last January and most Banana around town, here in BKF, looked hopeless. But those same plants today are 7 to 10+ feet tall and as vibrant as ever after having the dead canes cut away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here