Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashing_gw

Proud of My Banana and Wants More.

ashing
16 years ago

Hello,

I am a new resident to Northeast Florida. I recently bought a house where the former owner had apparently transplanted a wild banana tree from the woods near my home to my front yard. Then my family first moved in (MARCH) the Banana Tree looked like a shriveled brown fern stump. I argued with my wife on whether or not to pull it up. Since March, the tree has really taken off. It now stands over 8 ft tall and produces a new 1 ½  X 3 ½  leaf every 2-3 days. My wife and I both are quite proud of it even though we deserve none of the credit for its vigor. I have a few questions.

1. Should I be concerned with such rapid growth? Will it die as quickly as it grows?

2. I have been told that banana trees die soon after they produce fruit. Is this true??? If so how can keep it from fruiting, because I am really digging the shade this beautiful tree is providing?

3. Lots of sprouts are beginning at the base. These sprouts are becoming pretty fast growing trees too. Can I easily transplant these small trees to other parts of my yard without damaging the original plant?

4. I have found where the former owner of my property got the original wild tree. There is quite a prolific grove of banana trees there. Would it be easy to duplicate the former residentÂs transplant?

I look forward to your responses.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths