Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katec_gw

Banana's in Kansas?

katec
16 years ago

I'm kind of a newbie to growing, but I really wanted to get a banana for my patio. I'm planning on it being an indoor/outdoor plant, but I don't know what type to get.

Any suggestions? I won't lie, I'd really like it to fruit if possible. I saw a dwarf red banana, and thought that looked interesting. Am I going to need a greenhouse? Any help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments (13)

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

Katec,if your in the Wichita area,come visit,I'll give you a banana to grow.
    Don

{{gwi:417966}}

• katec
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah!! No i'm not!!! Oh, and it's such a pretty banana too!! Thankyou for the offer tho! you have a beautiful yard. Can i ask what type it is?

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

Those there are dwarf musa cavendish,and red tiger sikki.
    in the back which can't see are red murelli ensete.
    Well if you ever come this way,let me know your still welcome to a banana,I give several away every fall,when I dig them up for winter,

{{gwi:417969}}

• katec
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A red tiger sikki, huh? I've never heard of them. Neat! Thanks again for the offer!! If I ever head up there, i'll definitely remember!

• nucci60
    16 years ago

dbryal,Is the red on the top of your red tiger starting to fade as it gets bigger? mine has.Also your maureliis look great. are they potted? mine get "crispy" along the edges after two weeks from unfurling.

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

Yep the red is completely gone now on the larger leaves of the red tiger.
    Ensete's are in the ground,no not having that problem,are you feeding with epsom salt?

Don

• nucci60
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip.I use epsom salts on palms and my canna stuttgard to control burning.I think mine is really underpotted now but it is september and i don't want to pot up much larger.I will have to store this for winter. Have you overwintered yours yet? I don't know how they react to dormancy.

• katec
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Epsom salt? Sorry for sounding stupid, but how does that help the banana? Just curius.

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

Epsom salt a good source of Magnesium,to help keep the leaves green and healthy looking,too much causes leaf burn around the edges.
    I kept mine growing ever so slowly,maybe one leaf a month,and when it would touch the ceiling I'd have to cut it in half,water about once a month,no fertilizer,you must keep the soil temp 53* above for it to continue to grow,anything lower and it will want to go in the dormant mode,but not completely,but will slow it down,and maintain what leaf growth it has,Boca Joe just cuts everything down to about 6 inches above the corm,throws in a bushel basket and keeps it in his cool laundry room,until to plant again in the spring.
    He lives in Maryland.

• edbtz
    16 years ago

When storing bananas in a cool place, do you guys take all the soil off?

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

I've done it both ways,can't say it makes a difference or not,since when you replant in the spring it has to grow all new roots all over again.

• David Valle
    7 years ago

While I realize this is an old thread I'm in Wichita and looking to purchase a banana plant or two and was wondering where they are being sold at this time?

• dbrya1
    7 years ago

Well I moved from Wichita to Bushland Tx right outside Amarillo,I have some but no longer in KS

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County