Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too many trees in mat

Posted by terrisofla 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 21:26

What do you do if you have to many trees that are blooming size in a mat? Chop them down? I have about 4 that are blooming size and various other sizes surrounding them. I had a bunch of bananas that was broken off prematurely by a bad windstorm. The mother has died. How long before one of the others blooms, or will they not bloom because there are too many of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too many trees in mat

What do you do if you have too many trees that are blooming size in a mat?

I separate the ones I don't want from the main root ball and either sell them or give them away. You can chop them down, but they will just grow from the chopped point again, unless you separate them from the main root rhizome, in which case, you still have another viable banana plant that can be replanted else-where or given away.

I have about 4 that are blooming size and various other sizes surrounding them. I had a bunch of bananas that was broken off prematurely by a bad windstorm.

The broken ones will regrow again from the break point in the stalk.

The mother has died. How long before one of the others blooms?

Depends on how old the particular stalk is. Most stalks will need a minimum number of leaves produced before a banana flower will appear.

Or will they not bloom because there are too many of them?

No, each one will still bloom if it is healthy. Think of the main root ball rhizome that the stalks grow from. The more stalks you have growing out of a root ball, the longer it will take for each one of them to produce a flower. It's sort of like putting too many appliances on one power generator. Each "light bulb" won't be as bright because there are so many of them drawing power. This is why commercial banana growers limit each plant to a maximum of 3 stalks at a time growing from the root ball. One mature, one semi mature and one baby.

o
RE: Too many trees in mat

Thanks garden guy, I've been side-tracked by tropical storm Fay and haven't been on the web, but about 2 days after I posted my question, a new flowering stalked appeared on one of the trees in this mat. I'm so glad I didn't chop it down. I guess the best thing to do at this point is remove the ones that are small enough for me to handle, right? I like your reference to too many appliances put on one generator. Makes sense. Thanks again...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here