Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation of bananas

Posted by sunny43 Z 9 Gal Co. Tx. (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 22:28

How do you propagate Musa velutina and Zebrina, Rojo, Blood Banana? Do they sucker?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation of bananas

They will sucker and produce seeds. Either will do.

Keith

o

• Posted by sunny43 Z 9 Gal Co. Tx. (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 10:37

Thanks Keith that is just what I needed to know.

o

FWiW the seeds can take quite a while to come up. I would go for the suckers.

Keith

o

Hello, My musa acuminata x zebrina (bananarama) produced 1 sucker this year. I pulled it out and the sucker snapped. So I took the top half of the sucker and treated it like a cutting. Could it regenerate?

o

I don't think so, but you may as well try it anyway. Let us know if it works!

o

No, the tops will not root. It's the corm, the root, that is really the plant. Cut the corm from the mother, let it dry up on the end, replant, and it will grow a new plant, even if the top has been removed.

o

Thanks. Will I have to destroy my current plant?

o

No, you will need a very sharp clean knife, take the mother out of its pot and wash the soil away so you can see the corm, and simply cut the new plant off but be sure to leave enough roots on it to survive and then just replant both.
you dont say where you live but if it is somewhere that is going into winter, I would not do it now.

o

try a red rowe they grow faster and taller and give many pups.

Here is a link that might be useful: banana growing info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here