Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa Basjoo flowering

Posted by espor z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 12, 06 at 22:34

This 3 year old musa basjoo started to flower the other day. I was very surprised to see the flower, I was watering the plant and saw some strange dead looking flowers, I looked up and there right above my head was this large flower!

Here is a picture of the plant with 5 pups (two larger than the one blooming!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa Basjoo flowering

Nice pictures! I envy the people that can arrange plants that nicely.

o

Great pics,

I hope my basjoos will flower one day.

Thanks

o

Looks beautyful.

I have never seen such a small musa basjoo flower before though. How tall is it? Do you think it might be because of a harsh winter that it flowers when it's that small?

I have never had a basjoo flower, but I have plants that are considerably larger.

Erlend

o

Nice plants/photos.

I haven't seen any flowering yet from either the fourth or second-year clumps in my garden (the largest plant is close to 8 feet tall). Any fertilizer or other bloom-promoting cultural hints?

o

Congrats on your flower. I am envious. I have not seen a bloom on a p-stem that short.

s.

o

That is totally freaking cool! We all want to know how you did that, though.... Is that a plant that froze down to the ground, or were you able to save that stem through several winters byu storing it dormant or potted? I've been telling my customers that basjoo are for foliage only and they won't get bananas around here or bloom.

o

This plant was a pup from my original plant that I moved to this location 3 years ago. The past two winters haven't been real bad in PA and I was able to protect the plant with a 5 gal bucket filled with dry leaves. The first winter it died back to the ground. This last winter it made it through without dying back so it started out at 2'. This plant gets fertilized weekly (5-10-5) and watered with water from a dehumidifier about 5 times per week. The mother plant is next to the house on the West side and grows approximately 10' tall each year. That plant I cover with a large rubbermaid garbage can filled with dry leaves. It is about 5 years old and has not flowered yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here