Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue java cell cultures

Posted by paradisi Sunshine Coast (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 23:22

A while back I mentioned on this forum my hunt for a Blue Java.

I got two of them about 3 weeks ago from the Queensland banana research station at Nambour.

They arrived in an ordinary envelope, two plantlets in an agar solution. They were about 4-5 cm in total.

After washing the agar off, they were planted in their own little humidicribs - to keep the humidity at about 90 and put under 80% shade cloth.

Today is the first day of the hardening off process - they came out of the humidicribs and the shade cloth was reduced to 40%.

Silly me didn't take any photos of them in their test tubes, but here's one of them now with their test tube beside them.

Has anyone else used cell culture for bananas? Or have you tried to get some of the more unusual varieties from the research station? I know they do send plantlets all over the world, primarily to other research stations, The Nambour research station is supposed to have the biggest collection of banana varieties in the world - may be worth while for you serious collectors who are tying to find the rarer plants. Not sure of what they would charge for overseas, but my two babies cost $10 (that's aussie dollars)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue java cell cultures

Yes, Musa Basjoo with decent results from Agristarts.

o
RE: blue java cell cultures

all of my bananas originate from tc. Bordelon, Ice Cream (which I believe is blue Java), basjoo, gran nain, Williams hybrid, sumatrana gran nain, chinese yellow, and others go great from tissue culture. Now I wish they'd just get that code cracked on the ae ae!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here