Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

First winter for potted musa basjoo - garage or sunny window?

TT, zone 5b MA
12 years ago

Hi -

I have read up on many different approaches re: how people overwinter these. Now, I am looking for a 'if you had too choose' opinion...with tradeoffs, please.

I know it is early, but I do like to plan ahead. I have had my plant since early summer, and it has grown and pupped like crazy. I have read about some folks garaging theirs, some keeping theirs indoors at a sunny window, and many doing the plant it out and protect it thing.

My garage gets pretty cold in the winter, but never below freezing. Lowest would be in the mid to upper thirties (F). No light. What happens to this plant in those conditions? Will it essentially die back to the soil line? How much watering would one give it when dormant in these conditions?

I also have a pretty sunny set of south facing windows in my living room. There, of course, it will be room temperature all winter with the drying of indoor heating. I have kept schefflera, jades, and philodendron there with decent results. How will M. basjoo handle this? What kind of watering regime would I follow in these conditions over the winter? How can I expect the plant to react here re: growth or dieback?

My last choice is one I am not sure I can make. I have a sunroom with skylights (north facing, so not too exciting as far as sunlight goes...but bright) in which I keep a ton of other plants, many under HID lights. Space is an issue here, especially with a plant this size. That said, it is a more plant friendly environment...with daytime temps reaching the 60s during the coldest part of winter, down to around 50 at night. Humidity also remains pretty decent in there, too.

So, what would be the best choice for the plant? If I couldn't give it that choice, what would be the best fallback plan?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Tom

Comments (10)

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

If you go with the garage you can expect some die back. Don't water the banana. I would keep it inside or plant it. Planting it is best, cover it with mulch and maybe a 5 gallon bucket to keep it dry after you cut it back. If you keep it inside water it as needed which will depend on the temps and lighting of your house. Just watch the plant. If you see the leaves sulking or folding and the soil is dry I would water.

What I like to do is keep several planted outside and I always keep a pup potted inside for insurance. Even though I am in zone 7 sometimes we get a lot of rain and snow and this is what kills the plants not the temps.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Chad -

Well, from cacti to bananas...thanks for the additional advice.

So, not to oversimplify, but if I keep it in the living room at room temps in a sunny window I can basically treat it like a houseplant? I.e., water when dry, but not expect too much growth over the winter months? Sort of like the Schefflera it will likely find itself next to? It doesn't really 'need' a colder dormancy per se...the lower light levels will be enough for it to rest? Will it be okay with the drier humidity levels, as well?

Thanks!

Tom

• redbeard92
    12 years ago

Keep it in the garage. As long as it doesn't freeze and you keep it dry (water maybe once a month - depending on pot size and how rootbound) it will do fine. I trim the leaves in half to make space. Open the garage door (if you can) on days that are 38+ degrees.

I've kept them inside as well, and seem to grow weak and become infested easier than other varieties.

Good luck,
    Rob

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Rob. I imagine you leave it out late since it is going garage...maybe Thanksgiving-ish, as long as no hard freezes prior?

There will be no light to speak of in my garage, either. I have had a lot of success with some cycads, cacti, and hardy pine bonsai in there, as well. My area is a bit colder than yours, so I would probably need to bring it in a bit earlier than you if I garage it...

Thanks.

Tom

• redbeard92
    12 years ago

Exactly, bring it in before the first hard frost (but you can pull it out for awhile after that). Once the temps are down and growth slows, water and light requirements are minimal - I just open the garage for a few hours on warmer days.

I garage cycads, many palm varieties (date, queen, betal nut), bird of paradise, cactus, bougainvillea, norfolk pine, etc.

Rob

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rob -

How cold does your garage get? Are you supplementing any light in there?

BTW, are you garaging Pygmy date palm...is that what you mean by 'date'?

Tom

• redbeard92
    12 years ago

The garage can drop down (closest to the door) to the upper 30's when its VERY cold at night, but it's typically in the 40's. I don't use supplemental light, but I will open the door frequently when the temps are in the upper 30's outside during the day or greater.

The dates are Halawy (Phoenix dactylifera), planted 8 years ago by seed...

• dontommyg
    12 years ago

Hi tom.
    My na e is tom as well and im growing a super dwarf cavendish and a basjoo.
    If mature enough you want to bring it indoors to let it rest, go dormant.
    Yes the leaves might shrivel or fall off but thats fine.
    Make sure temps are under 40 degrees and no light.

It will seem like its sleeping or dying, but its not. Yes, only water once over winter, if it is dry maybe twice.

Now if it is really small you want to allow it to get light and be near a south facing window so it can develop its main stem and roots.

Good luck.

Tommyg

• nucci60
    12 years ago

first of all, inzone 5b, don't plant it this late. If it is large enough you can leave it potted in a corner of your basement and let it go dormant.Water it very infrequently and just a little.Growing them indoors is a hastle. they hate the dry air and get "buggy". the garage is a gamble. If it is a basjoo, plant it out in may.