Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grower8

Picture of Musa sikiminsis bloom

grower8
17 years ago

I have been a lurker on here for a long time but thought I would post a picture of my Musa sikiminsis bloom

{{gwi:418359}}

{{gwi:418360}}

Comments (2)

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

Nice picture, grower. Does anyone know if Sikkimensis bananas are edible or are they just full of big seeds?

• mrbungalow
    17 years ago

Nice!
    Can I ask if you have an overall shot of the whole plant? How big is it? How long did it take to fruit?

Gardenguy, I have tasted musa sikkimensis. It tastes delicious, but it's full of big seeds. As you have probably seen, seed-dealers all over the internet copy and paste the general description of banana-species. And it's true what they say, there certainly isnt enough in a fruit! (Is there ever really enough in a fruit?)

Here is the description from Ganes Villa:

Description: A common wild banana of the Darjeeling and Sikkim Himalayan region growing in higher altitudes from 4000ft. elevation to 6,000ft and higher. At this altitude the plants are exposed to winter frost and the occasional winter snowfall. Broad leaves characterised by deep reddish colouring on the underside in emerging new leaves. The color changes to green when the leaf reaches maturity. New leaves also show deep maroon variegation on the leaf surface. On maturity the leaves become green retaining only a red midrib. Not all plants exhibit this variegation and colouring of the underside of the leaves.

Flowering habit: As the stems in a clump matures it produces a strong inflorescence. The inflorescence grows out at a stiff angle to the upright stem. In fact, in the developing and fruiting stage it is almost horizontal to the stem. Fruits are about 5 to 6 inches long and angled. When ripe the pulp is sweetish but there is not enough in a fruit. Numerous large, black and angled seeds are produced.

Culture: This is one species found growing up to high elevations and should be relatively cold hardy. As many banana enthusiasts in cold climates experiment with growing this plant we should see cold hardiness results soon. Rich organic compost should contribute to excellent and fast growth.

Habitat distribution: Darjeeling and Sikkim Himalayas. Found growing in forests in rich forest humus.

Ethnobotany: Seeds powdered and used for stomach disorders. Immature flowers boiled and made into various curries

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm