Return to the Banana Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A little fertilizer really helps! (Pics of Ensete Bananas)

Posted by arctictropical Z4 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 23:55

I'm been pretty faithful throwing my Ensetes some nitrogen now and then this summer (Milorganite and Ammonium Sulfate). They have really grown!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little fertilizer really helps! (Pics of Ensete Bananas)

Wow those are beautiful! I'm going to try Milorganite on my Musa 'Ice Cream' banana next year, since I've seen so many good results with it.

o

Thanks blackwillow. It seems like bananas can't get enough nitrogen! It's probably hard to burn them with too much. The same thing has happened to my clump of giant reed (Arundo). It's growing by leaps and bounds.

o

This year I have been using Miracle Gro, but my banana plant hasn't grown very much. I've had it for 2 months and its just now producing larger leaves. I also have a Musa 'zebrina' plant that hasn't grown much. It does have 2 pups on it, but one is sickly.

o

blackwillow, one thing I've found out in my climate.... Musa must not like our cool nights in these mountain valleys, but the Ensete doesn't care. My Ensete bananas always grow huge. My musa? Not so much. I've always used common granulated garden fertilizer on my bananas... the strong stuff. For outside at least, I'm going to forget Musa and get more Ensete!

o

I wonder if Ensetes are tolerant of high temperatures. I saw a couple at Home Depot in June. After looking at your beautiful ensetes, I want to try growing those. Its taking my blue java banana a long time to get established.

o

Wow those things are HUGE!!! I must be doing something wrong with mine. My smaller ones that I purchased this year grown in pots at the nursery are as big as the two larger ones I overwintered bare root.

I don't think Ensete like really hot weather, I think they prefer it a little cooler, because we've had a very hot summer, and finally it started to cool down more into August.

Nice job with the Ensetes.

o

Thanks, blackwillow and islandbreeze. All I know is we've had temperatures in the 80's and 90's all Summer. I've fertilized and watered them well, and it's paid off!

o

I wish the temperatures would be in the 80s here. The beginning and middle of Summer started out very hot, with temps above 100. Last week was a nice break because the temps were in the upper 80s-mid 90s. This week will be another triple digit week. I'm having to water my musa ice cream every day lol

o

Blackwillow, what state do you live in? We had 45 degrees this morning. Same tomorrow morning!

o

I live in North Texas. That's amazing it will be 45 there. I'm ready for fall lol

o

Thanks blackwillow. It's very comfortable here this time of year.... perfect temperatures and no humidity! And it's only 2 more months to snow boarding season!

o

I think it will be in the 80s here by the end of the week, which will be great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Banana Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here