Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

A little fertilizer really helps! (Pics of Ensete Bananas)

arctictropical
11 years ago

I'm been pretty faithful throwing my Ensetes some nitrogen now and then this summer (Milorganite and Ammonium Sulfate). They have really grown!

{{gwi:418386}}

Comments (12)

• blackwillow87
    11 years ago

Wow those are beautiful! I'm going to try Milorganite on my Musa 'Ice Cream' banana next year, since I've seen so many good results with it.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks blackwillow. It seems like bananas can't get enough nitrogen! It's probably hard to burn them with too much. The same thing has happened to my clump of giant reed (Arundo). It's growing by leaps and bounds.

• blackwillow87
    11 years ago

This year I have been using Miracle Gro, but my banana plant hasn't grown very much. I've had it for 2 months and its just now producing larger leaves. I also have a Musa 'zebrina' plant that hasn't grown much. It does have 2 pups on it, but one is sickly.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

blackwillow, one thing I've found out in my climate.... Musa must not like our cool nights in these mountain valleys, but the Ensete doesn't care. My Ensete bananas always grow huge. My musa? Not so much. I've always used common granulated garden fertilizer on my bananas... the strong stuff. For outside at least, I'm going to forget Musa and get more Ensete!

• blackwillow87
    11 years ago

I wonder if Ensetes are tolerant of high temperatures. I saw a couple at Home Depot in June. After looking at your beautiful ensetes, I want to try growing those. Its taking my blue java banana a long time to get established.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Wow those things are HUGE!!! I must be doing something wrong with mine. My smaller ones that I purchased this year grown in pots at the nursery are as big as the two larger ones I overwintered bare root.

I don't think Ensete like really hot weather, I think they prefer it a little cooler, because we've had a very hot summer, and finally it started to cool down more into August.

Nice job with the Ensetes.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, blackwillow and islandbreeze. All I know is we've had temperatures in the 80's and 90's all Summer. I've fertilized and watered them well, and it's paid off!

• blackwillow87
    11 years ago

I wish the temperatures would be in the 80s here. The beginning and middle of Summer started out very hot, with temps above 100. Last week was a nice break because the temps were in the upper 80s-mid 90s. This week will be another triple digit week. I'm having to water my musa ice cream every day lol

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blackwillow, what state do you live in? We had 45 degrees this morning. Same tomorrow morning!

• blackwillow87
    11 years ago

I live in North Texas. That's amazing it will be 45 there. I'm ready for fall lol

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks blackwillow. It's very comfortable here this time of year.... perfect temperatures and no humidity! And it's only 2 more months to snow boarding season!

• blackwillow87
    11 years ago

I think it will be in the 80s here by the end of the week, which will be great.

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz