Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbrya1

Raja Puri

dbrya1
16 years ago

Mine has just thrown a flag leaf,so this late in the game,I dug it up and potted it in a 35 gallon plastic trash can,I left a large rootball,

Has anyone ever brought one to fruit successfully,after digging one up during the flag leaf?

{{gwi:418551}}

{{gwi:418554}}

Comments (13)

• asacomm
    16 years ago

It is wonderfull that Raja Puri start to bloom in zone 6.
    I failed all pups of Raja Puri to overwinter in zone 9, so
    tell me please how you overwintered them with what kinds of
    winter protections.

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I overwinter some in a greenhouse and some under the crawl space of my home,it's too cold here to leave outside,but if you plant yours in the right location,such as a micro climate
    area,you should be able to overwinter Raja puri,which I believe is root hardy to zone 8.
    Did you try a wire cage filled with leaves around your pups for winter protection?

• asacomm
    16 years ago

Now I understand why and how your plant overwintered in
    zone6. In my case I wrapped the pseudostem with hay matts
    and mulched with hays. But still the plant could not over-
    winter even in zone9. I still believe that Raja Puri
    should overwinter in zone9 in the ground with proper winter
    protections.
    So I will try again in the coming winter.

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Asacomm,I've tried the same thing more than once here.
    And a couple times I thought I had made it only to find the trunk survived,but the corm went mushy.If I try again I think I might bury a heating soil cable around the corm,about 6 inches away or so,to keep the soil temp above freezing.

• bdunn
    16 years ago

{{gwi:418557}}

I have three fair-sized clumps of raja puri here in zone 9. Two are planted near the south side of a garage, but the third is relatively unprotected. All have survived the past three winters, and last winter had a freeze of about 25 degrees that came late enough and long enough that it killed 10-year-old red hibiscus plants. The rajas died back to the ground, but survived.

In the earlier two winters, there were actually brief colder periods, two or three times getting down to 22 or 23 degrees, and in those winters the rajas didn't even die back to the ground; the corms survived.

I have a much more sensitive group of Goldfingers, and the first winter I wrapped one of the corms in alternating layers of burlap and newspaper. The stem turned to mush.

I've come to the conclusion that, here at least, odds are better that the plants will make it through the winter if I just give them some good mulch but otherwise leave them alone.

For what it's worth, pups in the clump of unprotected raja are on average probably a couple of feet shorter, less lush, and with smaller fruit than those in the more protected clumps. But then, I rarely provide water or fertilizer to the unprotected ones - they're essentially growing 'wild.'

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice pic!!!
    I see what looks to be your snail vine flowering in the background!!
    Can you tell me how long before you were able to pick your first hands of fruit?

• bdunn
    16 years ago

The flowers in the background are from a pink trumpet vine (Podranea ricasoliana) which grew up one side of the garage, across the roof and down the other side.

My memory's a little fuzzy, but I think these rajas are setting fruit in quite a bit less than a year - my best guess is 10 months. The one above showed up in August. I am guessing it will be ready by early to mid December.

Probably more than half the time the plants produce fruit too late in the year and then it dies in a cold snap.

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks

I had 2 bananas set fruit,couple years back.the nanners were full size and plumb,then the unexpected happen as as walking up the sidewalk,heart attack,my second,the first 4 years earlier,led to angioplasty 2 balloons,opened arteries.
    This last time a 5 by-pass,while I was in the hospital,a surprise frost occurred,weatherman,didn't see it coming,and it was cold enough to turn all the nanners black,by the time I got home from the hospital 4 days later.
    So I'm hoping by digging them up,bringing them inside a little greenhouse,I can get them to full term and eat a homegrown banana in Wichita,ks.
    Thanks for your time and info.

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

Great job bdunn. Yeah, my raja Puri has thus far produced only between November and March, so none survived. I'm going to relocate them next spring.

• bdunn
    16 years ago

Last year I had one bunch ripen up before the cold. A couple fruit started peeling themselves, so I had to cut them down quick. They were just as sweet as the commercial kinds, but seemed to have a hint of lemon.

• indianatim
    16 years ago

That's a beautiful plant that you have. This is my first year of experience growing bananas, so I don't have any answers for you, but it gives me hope that maybe I can do the same.

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Tim,If I can do it so can anyone.
    bdunn,I've yet to even try a homegrown banana,but have read where other people say theres had a hint of apple,custard or even strawberry,and the ones you buy in the stores,always seem to taste the same whether it be a Dole or Chiquita brand,I'm really excited,because I have the 3 bananas now in fruit,and can hardly wait to see if they all taste different.
    Don

• dbrya1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of Raja with babies.

And another pic,of Cavendish and Saba.

{{gwi:418558}}

{{gwi:418560}}

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler